Turtle Beach and stereo mix issue

  • From: "Brent Harding" <bharding@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 00:01:39 -0600

I am running a Turtle Beach Montego DDL sound card in XP Pro. I have tried various programs to get decent audio from the stereo mix option to no avail. I tried sound recorder, a demo of Goldwave, and the Studio Recorder Beta all at 16 bit 44.1k sample rate, stereo. It sounds quite flat with almost no bass and little trebble. It sort of reminds me of a very old radio station in my area. How do I fix this problem so that it should sound almost like the source material that I played through in the first place? Should I record at 24-bit 96k or 192k, whatever the highest I can crank goldwave demo up to to get it better? I'm perplexed as to why the playback sounds so much better than my SB card ever did, no aliasing or artifacts any more, but recording from stereo mix sounds awful in comparison to what I hear through my speakers on playback of the recorded wav file. On this system, the motherboard card is enabled, and is called Digital MB in the control panel and multimedia settings. I am almost certain the internal sound is a SoundMax chip since the midi mentions SoundMax. How might I rectify this problem? I wish to run the internal for jaws, but that makes both very latent.