Re: Portable Recorders

  • From: Shelly <shellyspodcasts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 17:01:00 -0500

I realize that this thread is somewhat old, but I thought I'd weigh in,
having reviewed many digital recorders.

I own and like the Zoom H2. It is slightly more accessible than the H4, but
there is a visual menuing system, and no clicks, or other indication as you
move through the menus. But anyone who can use an iRiver can easily use an
H2. The next step up in accessibility is the Edirol R09. Many functions are
handled by tactile buttons and switches. The Edirol also happens to have an
easy to read visual interface; great contrast and bright characters, for
those with some vision.

Both Zooms and the Edirol allow you to record in uncompressed formats. The
Olymus devices do not. And if you're a Mac User, you'll need to be able to
play WMAs on your machine to use it. I have QuickTime Pro installed, so I'm
good with the Olympus. Audio quality on the Zooms is great, and the multiple
mic pattern options are incredibly useful.

Hope that helps,
-shelly

Shelly Brisbin, podcast juggernaut

Shelly's Podcast: http://shellyspodcast.com (winner, 2008 Podcast Peer