Olympus DS20

  • From: "Jerry Berrier" <jerry.berrier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 06:46:11 -0400

Hi all,
I had heard in a podcast that the software for the Olympus DS2 digital voice
recorder is not Jaws-friendly, so I just want to let you know that I'm using
it with a DS20 that I got a week ago, and it works quite well.  I can set
the time, record modes, alarm, microphone sensitivity, and some other things
easily and without going to the Jaws cursor.
I'm running Windows XP home and JAWS 7.0.
I did have to upgrade to the Plus version of the Olympus software, which
costs $10.00.
I have trouble navigating the folders in the DSS software, so I just use
Windows Explorer to browse through the files I've recorded.
I am really impressed with the DS20.  I've been using a minidisk recorder
for some time to record bird sounds and other natural sounds.  I tried the
DS20 with my Sennheiser shotgun mic, and I was pleasantly surprised to find
that it does quite well.  I'm sure recordings made with it wouldn't look as
good on a sonogram as those made with the Minidisk, but I can hardly notice
any difference in how they sound.

Jerry Berrier