RE: [Mobile Speak Pocket] New podcast uploaded tonight.

  • From: Geoff Stephens <geoffslists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Shane Jackson'" <jack728@xxxxxxxxx>, <msp_mailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 22:18:33 -0400

I have been showing my 8525 to various blind people since I'm a new MSP user
and am anxious to let people know how usable and intuitive Code Factory has
made these devices.  Veteran synthesized speech users as well as newbies
agree that the speech makes MSP a less than appealing solution.  In fact,
many seem to become completely disinterested in all the rest of the
demonstration after they hear the Fonix speech.  It seems that everybody
wants Eloquence.  I truly believe Code Factory could sell significantly more
copies of MSP if Eloquence was available.

I have tried to condition myself to Fonix but I have to admit that it is
still difficult for me after a month and a half of use.  I'm not very
productive with it.  I will live with it because I have to do so.  I
generally use arate of 19.  I frequently have to go back and review words I
did not understand.  I use eloquence at a much faster rate (75 percent of
maximum with JAWS for example) and do not have any problem reading at that
rate.

I have seen arguments on this list about the responsiveness of Fonix.  I
support those who contend that it is not very responsive.  It is difficult
to provide support for that argument since there are many factors to
consider including the device and the screen reader.  How are we to know how
responsive Eloquence would be with MSP if we haven't used it?  I don't know
how to qualify it except to say I suspect it would be bettter.

I didn't listen to the entire podcast but skimmed through it and wanted to
let you know that the keys above the QWERTY keyboard are the left and right
soft keys in case you want to use them in the future.  I was forced to do
so a couple of weeks ago when the front keyboard on my 8525 stopped working.
I have since received a replacement and it is working fine.  I have
continued the habit of using the soft keys on the QWERTY keyboard when it is
open.  For a long time I did not realize that those keys were actually keys.
I thought they were part of the communication that must occur to let the
device know when the keyboard is opened and closed.  They are a little
awkward to press at first but they work very well.