Re: Iriver ums firmware

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:22:16 -0500

Hi Don, you first have to unzip the .hex file into a folder you can recognize. Do not click on or press enter on the .hex file, that won't do anything.
Next,hook up your iRiver to the USB cable, and then open up the transfer manager software for your iRiver. next, go to tools and then the upgrade firmware option. When you do you'll see a browse button, which ou can then press and that's when you press enter on the .hex file.
Your iriver firmware will now be upgraded to version 1.28. Your iRiver player will then turn off. This is supposed to happen.
When it does, disconnect the iRiver from the USB cable and just to be safe, reboot your machine. You don't really have to do this, but I did when I did it and it didn't hurt anything. When Windows is back up and Window-eyes is running, hook up your iRiver again to the USB cable and that's when you should notice that your iRiver will now be recognized as a drive in windows explorer. You can then uninstall the transfer manager software. You will not need it anymore.
To copy files and folders to your iRiver, all it requires is a simple copy and paste operation. Much better than the transfer manager!
Hope this helps.

At 03:10 PM 10/17/2005, you wrote:
Chris, I first installed the Iriver software.  In fact, I used it a
few times and found it could be done although it is a pain because one
has to use the Window Eyes mouse keys quite a bit.  I transferred a
few mp3s using this software into the player.

Next, I made certain that the player was turned on and the U S B cable
connected at both ends.  I then got the confirmatory gong  indicating
that windows xp saw the 799.  I then clicked on the ums file which is
a zip file which opened using Winzip revealing only one file in the
archive which is a .hex file.  When I attempted to click on that, the
only thing which happened was that it opened in Notepad.

So, just where is my problem, and, what shall I do to solve that
problem?

Thanks.

Don Roberts