Re: Iriver Questions

  • From: "MICHAEL MCCARTY" <mmccarty@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:26:59 -0400

The UMS works great for that model, I have one, and use it with no
problems.

Michael McCarty
Fred's Head Database Coordinator
American Printing House for the Blind
Phone: 502 899-2396
Fax: 502 899-2363
www.aph.org
www.FredsHeadCompanion.blogspot.com

>>> byron@xxxxxxxxxxxx 10/03/05 03:19PM >>>
I have a few questions about the Iriver 799 and 899. My friend is
thinking of buying one because of all of my drooling. I want to know
some answers to a few questions so I can relay them to him. He bought
one last night and then found out that the iriver DOES NOT record
directly to mp3. You have to use their program to convert recordings to

MP3. He said the UMS thing only works on earlier models. Apparently,
they don't want to get into trouble so they make the recordings in .REC

format instead of mp3. Is this true, and if so is there a hack that we

can apply to make the UMS Driver work and allow us to record in mp3
format?

Thanks,
Byron