Iriver IFP899 USB not working

  • From: "Monty Icenogle KD6CAE" <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 16:26:53 -0800

Hello fellow listers.
I've had an Iriver IFP899 for 2 years and 4 months now, and until recently it's worked great. However it seems to have developed a problem I'm fearing could be a grave one for the Iriver. If anyone here has any ideas on how or if I can fix this issue, I'd appreciate them. After making a recording on my Iriver, I attempted to transfer the recording to the computer so I could then upload it elsewhere. I connected the USB cable to my Iriver, and noticed that I wasn't getting an indication of a USB device having just been connected, as I normaly should. Thinking something odd was up with the port I was using, I disconnected my USB mouse which is working perfectly, and connected the Iriver's USB cable to the exact same port, and turned on the unit. Still no indication of a USB device connected! so I did some more troubleshooting, and tried to connect the Iriver to one of my roomate's 2 computers. None of them saw the Iriver either. Thinking we may have a bad cable, we tried another cable we had available to us. On one of the computers, the Iriver saw the connection, as it went in to USB mode, however the computer did not detect the Iriver, as no mass storage device appeared. I tried this same cable which had promising results on all other computers, including my own, and no joy, and I don't even think the Iriver even went in to USB mode on the other computers. I don't know what on Earth could've caused this seemingly sudden failure of USB on the Iriver, but this is a major blow if I can't get USB connectivity working. Does anyone have any ideas on how or if I can get USB connectivity to again work on my Iriver IFP899? Or am I screwed and I need to search for a new digital recorder? I should point out that the Iriver itself still records and plays files just fine, just the USB interface seems to have gone wacky. Thanks for any help. Monty, frustrated Iriver user