RE: Disibility Node as part of Ipodder.org categories ...

  • From: "Jeff Bishop" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:46:23 -0700

Point well taken <smile>.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindcasting-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:blindcasting-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kelly Pierce
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 8:39 PM
To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Disibility Node as part of Ipodder.org categories ...

Jeff,

I think you have a logic error.  there is an assistive technology
sub-category in  blindness and an overall technology category.  you have
technology information in two different places rather than one.  On the
other hand, if you had a blind tech category in the technology section, some
might argue that the sub-category should be in blindness.

I do take exception with the phrase "assistive technology" in the blindness
section.    My experience is that it is used largely by cross disability
folks and paid professionals serving the blind and not blind people
themselves.  why not just use the term "technology" as a sub-category in the
blindness section?  Many podcasts are not so much about assistive technology
but offering support and assistance for using mainstream devices and
technology effectively.  Some of us have even worked to create so-called
assistive technology interfaces that are so slick they have been adopted by
many mainstream users and accepted as mainstream technology for everyone.
Jeff, I don't subscribe to the view that every piece of technology that a
person with a disability finds useful is automatically assistive technology,
like many cross disability folks do.  No, half the tables in a furniture
store showroom are not assistive technology simply because someone in a
wheelchair can fit underneath them as many cross-disability folks do.  the
assistive technology sub-category in blindness sounds more like a label at a
blindness or disability agency rather than what the disability community
might call itself.

Kelly