RE: Audio advice needed

  • From: "JULIE MELTON" <jewelsong21@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:15:15 -0700

I can't tell you a thing about the Mac questions. However, I can tell you what i do for audio.

FIrst, I have a Scheur M58 that does fine for talking or singing. Yes, there are better mics, but they are also more expensive. I've heard good things about Audiotechnica. I use a Carvin power mixer, but there are some good ones by Behringer if you don't need as many chanels. Shane Jackson demonstrated the UB802 on his podcast, for example.

As for recording events, Sound Professionals has a range of good stereo mics that work well with an Iriver or minidisc recorder.

JulieMelton visit me at Keep smiling!

From: Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>
To: blindcasting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Audio advice needed
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 00:13:58 -0500

Hello listers!

I am really wanting to start my own podcast and am looking for advice on
what audio equipment I need.  I suppose I can use what I have now
(computer, mic, and headphones), but I'm wanting a bit more of a
professional setup with a mixer and related equipment.  I also am
thinking I'll use a computer dedicated to audio production and I am not
sure to go the Windows or Mac route.  As far as I know, there is at
least one user on this list using a Mac successfully.

I guess I have quite a number of questions I should be asking and I am
sure answers will spawn more questions, but here are a few for

1)  Is it easy to produce professional audio with the Mac?  I ask
     because I am excited to try out the Mac with Voiceover.
2)  What mixer would you recommend which is accessible and easy to use?
3)  I am not sure what to call it, but I've heard about
     filtering/compression when it comes to finalizing the audio.
     Should I do that on the software end or use a hardware device?
4)  I would like a mic good for talking/singing and another good for
     event recording.  What mics would you recommend?

I guess that is all I can think of at this point. I appreciate any feedback that any of you have to offer. In addition to replying to this e-mail, you also have the option of calling a number I've set up for you. I'm thinking that it would be very nice to speak with some of you audio gurus in person rather than correspond via e-mail. Sometimes, conversation provides for much smoother communication than e-mail. If you are comfortable with this, feel free to call:

and leave a message.  I will call you back so we can talk in person.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this somewhat lengthy

Best regards,

-- "Let music echo the thoughts of your soul."

                --  Jason Castonguay <jcast@xxxxxxxx>

Today is Pungenday, the 26th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3171