blind_html [vipnews] Technology helps blind soldier see]

  • From: Nimer <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:06:04 -0700

Subject:        [btt] Fw: [vipnews] Technology helps blind soldier see
Date:   Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:37:04 -0500
From:   Jeffrey Shockley, Windows Desktop Edition <jawswizard@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     <blind-teen-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From:<editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:<vipnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:49 AM
Subject: [vipnews] Technology helps blind soldier see

NBC, via KSDK News, MO, USA

Technology helps blind soldier see
11th February 2009.

NBC -- A 23-year old Iraqi war vet lost his eyesight when his vehicle was
hit by a roadside bomb in
Baghdad.
Today, thanks to technology and a strong will, he's back in his hometown of
Chicago and helping
others.
23-year old Iraqi war soldier Steven Baskis is using cutting edge
technology, that can't be seen by
the untrained eye.
"I want to be as independent as I can and as close to who I was before,"
said Baskis.
His high-end cell phone cost $2,000.
It has gps, it can tell when the lights are on in a room, and if it touches
his clothes it can speak
the colors.
Plus, it can read any document or the morning paper.
"If I didn't have this, it would be really hard for me just to get around
and do things," Baskis
said.
For Steve his world changed overnight, back on May 13th of last year, while
stationed in Iraq.
"My buddy who was right next to me was killed instantly and I was seriously
injured of course,"
Baskis said.
Steve's remarkable story, and his Tom Cruise smile are the subject of soon
to be released
documentary about coping with a disability.
His will to survive, by not feeling sorry for himself is also helping him to
be more productive.
Steve has been trained at the v-a hospital to fix small engines, and he's
teaching computer science
to the blind.
"This is actually the second edition of it and Steve, with his background in
electronics and he went
through the computer program and did a very good job with that. We actually
brought him back in to
work with one of the other veterans that came in the program when we got our
newest edition," said
Gerald Schutter, Chief of Blind Center at Hines V.A. Hospital.
NBC

SOURCE
http://www.ksdk.com/news/regional/story.aspx?storyid=167169&catid=16

it
review,
reliance
is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender via reply
e-mail, and delete the
material from any computer.

Website:
http://www.empowertheblind.org