blind_html Re: intro and first question

  • From: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 07:58:31 -0600

First, I personally prefer a basic text editor the equivalence of notepad when doing pages in html. Second, you said you are goign to update everyday. I suggest you look at dynamic pages for that, but I haven't got a clue about how that is done.
And, for your intro page, it should look something like this.
Every page starts out with <html>
<title>Page Title</title>

The body of your page along with links goes here. You want links sort of like a navigation bar. I would either put them in a table or under a heading level 5 or 6.
So, the code will look something like this.
<li><a href="URL of link or file name if files are in the same directory.">Home</a></li>
Then, you want an intro.
<h1>Welcome to my site!</h1>
Then, maybe you want a paragraph or an ancor. Either <a> or <p />
Then, the copyright notice.
<h3>Copyright Notice</h1>

Text of copyright notice.

This is the equivalence of a basic page in html. Please note that all punctuation must be inserted including lessthan and greater-than signs and quotes. After you are done, save this file as index.html and if doing it in notepad, please make sure that it is not saving as a text file by selecting all files in the save as type box.

Now, for tutorials on html, I prefer the w3schools website, but I am not sure of the URL at the moment, so maybe someone can assist you.

Nimer J
On 05/04/2009 06:17 AM, LISA BROOKS wrote:

My name is Lisa from Arizona and I am attempting to put up a website but haven't a clue of what I am doing. Here is what I have managed so far.

Bought a domain name and a 2-year package with They have templates on there website builder but I have found them to difficult to use with JAWS version 9. I had assistance to get the templates up but couldn't edit them and that's a big problem.

I got filezilla and have managed to connect with my ftp so I could work on my website manually because I think that would be the best way to have control over my content. I downloaded from web Braille the only book I could find on html written for html 4 and xhtml which if memory serves was written in 2002. Thing is I'm using kurzweil to read it so the syntax doesn't come out right for me to get the code. My husband more of a novice than me says I can just write it in ms word 2003 and save it as an html file than put it up that way. I want my website to look something like this at least the mainhome page.

A title

A welcome sentence

7 links or so in a list the typical about us contact us and others for example.

A copyright blip at the bottom.

How do I do this first page and what do I call it? Then how do I create the links on the page which would direct the user to subsequent pages. As I mentioned I have ms word 2003, and notepad and wordpad. Do you have any suggestions on what I can read on the internet to learn this stuff or should I switch to a different hosting company. I have a 30-day guarantee?

I am afraid that I will spend so much time figuring out how to put up my content that I'll never get anything up on the web. My website will need to be updated daily with new articles and links and I don't want it to take forever or I'll not be able to write.

Ok, that's it. Any help or suggestions any one has is greatly appreciated.