blind_html Re: Fwd: Fred's Head Companion - American Printing House for the Blind

  • From: "Sarah Alawami" <marrie12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:21:38 -0700

Oh wow. I might look into that last article .

  Fred's Head Companion - American Printing House for the Blind
  <http://www.fredshead.info/>

        Link to Fred's Head from APH <http://www.fredshead.info/>

Website and Blog for Returning Veterans
<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/FredsHeadCompanion/%7E3/Bf0xDgPGsFE/websit
e-and-blog-for-returning-veterans.html>

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has launched its "Returning
Veterans" Website to welcome home Veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan
conflicts with a social, Veteran-centric Website focusing on their needs
and questions.

The Website will feature videos, Veteran stories, and a blog where
Veterans are encouraged to post feedback.  The site also will
restructure the traditional index-of-benefits format found on other VA
pages into question-based, categorized, and easily navigated links by
topic. This will allow Veterans to find benefits of interest easily and
discover related benefits as they explore.

Click this link to visit http://www.oefoif.va.gov
<http://www.oefoif.va.gov>.

<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/FredsHeadCompanion?a=Bf0xDgPGsFE:TJN2wuH
Juwg:yIl2AUoC8zA>

You Can be a ConfidentReader
<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/FredsHeadCompanion/%7E3/T35k-AY8ZTE/you-ca
n-be-confidentreader.html>

ConfidentReader is an assistive reading software package, designed to
help persons with dyslexia to improve both their reading and spelling
skills.

The software converts electronic text into speech using a
natural-sounding voice, allowing persons with dyslexia to bypass
difficulties with text processing issues, while providing them with the
capability to obtain written information through sound. The software
reads electronic text, speaks what is written, and highlights the
material in order to assist the person with associating the sounds they
hear with the visual information they are seeing. There is a typing echo
feature which recites text back to the person automatically by letter,
word, or sentence, so that mistakes in typing are heard and may be
corrected immediately.

Click this link to learn more at http://www.confidentreader.com
<http://www.confidentreader.com>.

<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/FredsHeadCompanion?a=T35k-AY8ZTE:jY1YIxl
K39g:yIl2AUoC8zA>

No More Phone Books Please!
<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/FredsHeadCompanion/%7E3/S78nZszVPqQ/no-mor
e-phone-books-please.html>

As a person who is blind, one of the most wasteful things that gets
dropped on my porch is the print phone book. I don't know about the rest
of you, but my phone book goes right into the trash. I can't read it and
I don't have any furniture that needs to be leveled or is missing a leg,
so out it goes.

I hate simply throwing something away, but I have no use for a print
book of telephone numbers. I'd like to stop the phone company from
sending it to me so I wouldn't have to toss it out.

YellowPagesGoesGreen.org is an organization working to educate consumers
and promote the green movement to eliminate the unsolicited delivery of
the Yellow and White Pages. This site is aimed at starting a national
movement to solicit the White/Yellow Pages industry to proactively stop
the delivery of books or to begin moving legislation to mandate this
activity. This is similar to the National No-Call Registry that has
stopped the unwanted solicitation calls to consumers.

Click this link to learn more about http://www.YellowPagesGoesGreen.org
<http://www.YellowPagesGoesGreen.org>.

<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/FredsHeadCompanion?a=S78nZszVPqQ:-s9WMlH
_UHo:yIl2AUoC8zA>

Achilles International
<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/FredsHeadCompanion/%7E3/GLTolgOXqSs/achill
es-international.html>

Achilles International is a worldwide organization that encourages
persons with disabilities to take up running and participate in races
with the general public.

The organization, headquartered in New York City, provides aspiring
athletes with coaching, training sessions, encouragement, technical
expertise, logistical support, and race entry fees.

 From its beginning in New York City, the organization has evolved into
Achilles International, with chapters throughout the United States as
well as in Canada, Norway, Mongolia, Japan, Ecuador, New Zealand,
Russia, and South Africa. Achilles International accommodates athletes
with many types of physical limitations including (but not limited to):
blindness and visual impairment, deafness and hearing impairment,
Cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, Multiple sclerosis and those with
traumatic brain injuries. Achilles team members have competed on
crutches, on tethers (for blind runners), in wheelchairs, on artificial
limbs and sometimes with no aides at all.

By enabling the disabled to participate in mainstream athletics,
Achilles International has, throughout its 26-year history, been one of
the vanguards making sports and recreation more accessible, enhancing
the personal achievement and self-esteem of countless athletes with
special needs. Call 212-354-0300 for more information or visit them on
the web at http://achillesinternational.org.

<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/FredsHeadCompanion?a=GLTolgOXqSs:ftNa6HX
NrQc:yIl2AUoC8zA>

Opening Stages to People with Disabilities
<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/FredsHeadCompanion/%7E3/FXJusB91dQE/openin
g-stages-to-people-with.html>

Opening Stages is a quarterly email subscription newsletter published by
the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and directed at people with
disabilities pursuing careers in the performing arts and related fields.
The producer is Betty Siegel, Manager of Accessibility at the Kennedy
Center.

Opening Stages has been published since 2001. Regular features include
interviews with artists, perspectives on relevant issues, listings of
resources, and news and notes. All issues of the newsletter are archived
on
http://www.kennedy-center.org/text/accessibility/opening_stages/index.cfm
<http://www.kennedy-center.org/text/accessibility/opening_stages/index.cfm>.

To become a subscriber and receive Opening Stages free of charge:

    * Click this link to email your request for a subscription to
      Opening Stages along with your name, email address and snail mail
      address to access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      <mailto:access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    * You can also mail the same information to:

      Accessibility Program
      Opening Stages
      The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
      2700 F. Street, NW
      Washington, DC 20566-0001

    * Fax your request to: 202-416-8802

If you do not want to receive your newsletter via email, you can request
a hard copy and receive it in large-print or Braille.

<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/FredsHeadCompanion?a=FXJusB91dQE:w2ohReV
OTKU:yIl2AUoC8zA>

You are subscribed to email updates from Fred's Head from APH
<http://www.fredshead.info/>
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now
<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailunsubscribe?k=8-2kaZRd4bxXdG7ejs8aee6
JWUk>.
        Email delivery powered by Google
Inbox too full? (feed) <http://feeds2.feedburner.com/FredsHeadCompanion>
Subscribe <http://feeds2.feedburner.com/FredsHeadCompanion> to the feed
version of Fred's Head from APH in a feed reader.
If you prefer to unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: Fred's Head from
APH, c/o Google, 20 W Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610