blind_html Re: Fwd: [Colorado-talk] National Federation of the Blind Comments on Release of Large-screen Kindle

  • From: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 22:34:40 -0600

Probably, but I don't understand why NFB and its members for the most part continue to look for handouts. The visually impaired community is a small market, and we can not expect every company toi bend over backwards to assist us, especially when NFB tells them "you must do it, and do it now, but we won't tell you how, we'll just take you to court if you don't".

Thanks
Nimer J

On 05/06/2009 10:32 PM, Sarah Alawami wrote:
Probably patent issues or something. and you know how much the modified version is going to caust. *disgusted grin*

Date:   Wed, 06 May 2009 20:33:44 -0500
From: Freeh, Jessica <JFreeh@xxxxxxx> (by way of David Andrews <dandrews@xxxxxxxx>)
To:     david.andrews@xxxxxxxxxx

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen@xxxxxxx

National Federation of the Blind
Comments on Release of Large-screen Kindle

Urges Accessibility of New E-book Reader for Students

Baltimore, Maryland (May 6, 2009): The National Federation of the
Blind, the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind
Americans, commented today on the release by Amazon, Inc. of a new
version of its Kindle electronic reading device.  The new Kindle has
a larger screen than previous versions and is being marketed by
Amazon as a potential platform for the display of textbooks for
college and graduate students.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "We are appalled that Amazon is releasing a new Kindle device
ostensibly for the use of students that does not contain features
that make it accessible to the blind.  While this new device has the
ability to read text aloud, its controls and user interface are not
accessible to blind people; therefore, blind students will not have
access to electronic textbooks available for the device.  If the
controls on the Kindle are made accessible to the blind, however,
blind students will have equal access to textbooks at the same time
as their sighted peers for the first time in history.  We therefore
urge Amazon to introduce a user interface for the Kindle that is
accessible to the blind as soon as possible.  Until such an
accessible interface is introduced by Amazon, no college or
university should deploy this device for use by its students, since
doing so will place blind students at an unfair disadvantage compared
to their sighted peers and will violate state and federal laws
requiring equal access to textbooks and course materials for students
with disabilities."

###

Colorado-talk:
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/colorado-talk_nfbnet.org/nimerjaber1%40gmail.com