blind_html Fwd: [nfbcs] [Blindmath] wxMaxima -- an accessible, computer algebra system

  • From: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html <blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:25:36 -0600

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 21:46:41 -0600
Subject: [nfbcs] [Blindmath] wxMaxima -- an accessible, computer algebra system
To: nfbcs@xxxxxxxxxx, gui-talk@xxxxxxxxxx, nabs-l@xxxxxxxxxx

It seems rare these days to find sophisticated software with a
graphical user interface that is accessible, even though that was
apparently not a design goal of the project.  Thus, I want to
encourage folks to check out wxMaxima if they have an interest in
using software for mathematics work, or if they have an interest in a
cross-platform development approach that results in accessible GUIs.

wxMaxima is a free, open source "computer algebra system" available at

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

It uses wxWidgets as its GUI library, which wraps native controls of
the operating system, and hence, implements the accessible API of
that platform.  It includes the Maxima console-mode, command-line
interface as well, which is also accessible with any screen reader.

In my opinion, this project is worth spreading the word about and
showing support for!

Jamal