blind_html [Fwd: [Blind-Computing] Standing at a threshold of an accessible revolution]

  • From: Nimer <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:49:14 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:subject :date:mime-version:content-type:x-priority:x-msmail-priority :importance:x-mailer:x-mimeole; bh=m0BhLpN93UCDOiEfWJoaUxr40UEmZVG56DaHtFhGMz8=; b=O6lryizqLcrvJRh3GvhoTH3890jmeElLdAWNqidJPoitNXoDoFgVx3MjEXM6huwkE9 BNnNSksWuSjfcmymW0CSiqbYyOs0a4zTLPqk0NdzNsaGflYaSL/F13wY7vvj0kHJyebr G9XlGvMWHT6OhnJr2sUibS61cHj2xWeKT4T9A=
From: Soner Çoban <soner.boun@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <blind-computing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:24:17 -0700
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Standing at a threshold of an accessible revolution
Sender: blind-computing-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A big warm hello from BookBole.com - where visually impaired readers from the world-over connect and share accessible content!

What we read goes such a long way in defining who we are. Unfortunately, finding reading material in accessible formats has been a massive challenge for persons with visual impairment. At Bookbolé we believe that the answer has to be a collaborative community-driven solution where the community participates to overcome the barriers. Afterall, the challenge is the entire world of reading material - multiple countries, languages and subjects.

As a tool in the hands of the visually-impaired Bookbolé will, no doubt, come to mean different things to different communities across the world. To some, a place to share interesting books to read, to others, a place to share learning, and to nearly all, a place to make friends, share experiences and express themselves.

Imagine Dan in Canada sharing computer programming notes and articles in accessible formats, or Rob in the UK sharing the poems of Byron in accessible formats, or Kaan from Turkey sharing his mantra for success with everyone on BookBolé, and how millions across the world can learn and get inspired from those experiences.

>From cooking tips and product reviews to personal stories and lifestyle tips, Bookbolé  is all about the small stuff, but on a really large scale. The possibilities of sharing and learning from each other are endless.

If you like the experience at BookBolé, spread the word and help us reach out to every person with visual impairment. In just over a month Bookbole already has members from over 50 countries but this is just the beginning.

Log on to www.bookbole.com that's b o o k b o l e dot com, start sharing and exploring accessible content, and in the process get connected to visually impaired readers across the world.

Remember, together, there are no barriers!

Team BookBolé

www.bookbole.com
Together,there are no barriers

Till here, you did read perhaps a standard text, yet i would like to share my own views from a blind user point of view too. The service got started around 3 months before, and now includes more than 1000 members all over 60 countries with more than 10000 collection of books. unlike some other communities, you do not have to pay any fee, cause the team believes that regardless of financial and welth status of countries and nations, accessibility is a right, not a privillage that we as blinds get by the mercy of our governments. One of the mottos of the service is as you did read above, is not only to share books, but to share anything accessible, this could be creating social networks/connections with other people on the site, this could be sharing a podcast, this could be a recepie that you cooked, liked and wanted to share. The baby is in your hands, if you look it after well, it will get grown, or will be recorded as one of the many failed project in blindness field in hi
story. When you visit the site, you will discover of course a lot more, but if needed to make an overview on some features of Bookbole, i can say that you can share your personal accessible content including books,  periodicals and so forth, yes, you have not read wrong, unlike bookshare and other organizations, you are not dependent to admins or volunteers to upload a book to offer it to your use, another user from another part of the world can have what you need, and can upload it, and your upload can fulfill the request of somebody else too. you can start conversations around books, can discuss, express your views, you either can search the books what you want by visiting categories, or can use the quick search box.
All in all, what makes these guys and the project is their holistic and universalistic  understanding of blindness and its problems. Though some of us are in America, some of is in Norway, some of us in Poland, we are a part of an entire structure, blindness problems are universal. What makes this community move forward is its universal solidarity, so that this project constitutes a prominent milestone to actualise this purpose with its global understanding opened to all voices of the blinds and parcially sighted on the planet, the closed circuit/isolated communities instead.
Happy Accessible Reading and Sharing
P.s: please do spread the word to every blind communication platforms you know.
http://www.jaws-users.com/help/