[blind-chess] Re: blind-chess Digest V1 #167

  • From: "Virginia Alverson" <sportsgirl17@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 01:18:21 -0400

Hi, Richard:  Count me in on any proposed tournaments.

Ginny  and Elijah
----- Original Message ----- From: "FreeLists Mailing List Manager" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Spoiler Alert Problem WAC032
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:19:19 +0100

Hello all,
.
This posting is divided into various parts. You can jump to the headings of the sections by search/find for **, a pair of asterisks
.
** Positional evaluation of the problem
.
White is somewhat passive here. The white king is safe, apart from a potential back rank mate, though there is a knight on g3 which at the moment could drop back to f1 if needed. Pawn structure is fine. The queen is on an open file. The g3 knight is putting pressure on the e4 black pawn, this ties down the black knight to defending that pawn
.
Black is slightly more active. No pawn weaknesses, the king has a flight square in g7, to escape any back rank checks. The queen is seems to be active on c5, but is not really doing much. Lastly, the f6 knight is tied down to defending the e4 pawn, and is itself undefended
.
So, in positional terms, who is better here? I would say, it's about equal. If white wishes, the knight could regroup to d4 via e2, to obtain an outpost where it is safe from pawn attack. If white did that, then the black knight would be free to land itself on d3. Neither of these plans actually do much, one would on positional terms, expect this to be drawn soon
.
.
** Hints section, 4 hints
.
** Hint 1, to find the key move
.
Any move that forces a response, should be examined a little further than one would for other moves
.
** Hint 2, to find the key move
.
Did I say forcing move?Perhaps one forcing move could be followed by another, and perhaps even more
.
** Hint 3, to find the key move
.
Lightning does not strike twice in the same place, unless the lightning is forked
.
** 4th and final hint, to find the key move
.
White gets into a king and pawn ending in just 4 moves
.
** Proposed solution to WAC032
.
The winning sequence is a forcing one, and the forcing move that can not be ignored is a check.
.
So, 1. Qd8+ and black has 3 replies. Two moves lose the f6 knight, 1. ... Ne8 2. Qxe8+, or 1. ... Qf8 2. Qxf6, both white wins. So, 1. ... Kg7, and now a difficult move to find. White 2. Qxf6+, and the black reply is again forced, 2. ... Kxf6. White has drawn out the black king to a point where the knight can fork king and queen. So, the lightning fork hits black, 3. Nxe4+ Ke5 4. Nxc5 bxc5, and white has snatched a pawn in the forking capture. For completeness, 5. Kf1 Kd5 6. Ke2 Kc4 7 Kd2 and any black king invasion is halted
.
** Condensed proposed solution to WAC032
.
1. Qd8+ Kg7 2. Qxf6+ Kxf6 3. Nxe4+ Ke5 4. Nxc5 bxc5 5. Kf1 Kd5 6. Ke2 Kc4 7. Kd2
.
** Other tactical variations considered, and rejected
.
The only other try for white is to attack the e4 pawn, with either 1. Qb1 or Qa4, but this pawn can not be captured. Black could try 1. ... h5, and now 2. Nxe4 loses. Black plays 2. ... Nxe4 3. Qxe4 Qc1 mate. Showing how the e4 pawn is indirectly defended by a tactical threat
.
** Alarm bells
.
1. Black failed to realise the potential danger of the squares c5 and f6, being connected to each other by a knight move, that is from the e4 square
.
2. The square e4 was contested by the black knight, so black became complacent as to any white knight moves to this square, since the black knight was apparently covering it
.
Paul Benson.
From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Game reflection time for OTB players
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:11:51 -0700

Good Morning Players,
Any blind-chess members playing in the USCF Blind Chess Over The Board Tournament October 11 and 12 can have their blind-chess correspondence game reflection time suspended during the period from October 9 through October 14. Please let your opponents know if you plan to attend the OTB and use this rule.

Richard

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Proposed Fall-Winter Chess Tournament
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:15:25 -0700

Hi All,
I would like to know if there is any interest among blind-chess members in an additional tournament. A brief outline of my proposed tournament follows.

The tournament will be a Quad format, that is groups of four players in a double round robin tournament. You play two games with each of the other three players in your division or six games total.

The tournament will begin October 1 with games scheduled to begin on the first of each month so you only have one additional game a month.

Tournament divisions will be grouped by player rating as of September 15. Division ties will be settled either by play-off or tie break rules as decided by the players. Division winners will have exclusive bragging rights until the next tournament.

If you would like to play in such a tournament, please let me know. If you have other ideas or suggestions, please post them to the list for discussion.

Richard

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC032
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:26:24 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,
For those that have not yet read Paul's insightful analysis of this problem, I encourage you to read it over carefully.

The best move is: 1. Qd8+

Principle:
Examining forcing moves, White tries 1. Nxe4 attacking the Queen, but the Black Knight guards the e4 square.
White next tries 1. Qd8+ and Black has three ways to avoid check:
1... Ne8, which just loses the Knight
1... Qf8, which also loses the Knight and
1... Kg7, which appears to protect the Knight.
But wait, if White still takes the Knight and Black takes the Queen, then the e4 guard is indeed removed and in fact a royal fork appears when the e4 Pawn is removed.
1... Kg7
2. Qxf6+ Kxf6
3. Nxe4+ K anything
4. Nxc5 bxc5
and White has won a Pawn.

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Problem WAC033
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 08:31:30 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,
This problem is from Mario Lang's puzzle web page at
http://delysid.org/chess/epd.cgi

and is reported to be from Fred Reinfield's book "Win At Chess" 1958.

Problem WAC033

White to move

FEN Problem Setup:
8/
p1q2pkp/
2Pr2p1/
8/
P3Q3/
6P1/
5P1P/
2R3K1
w - - 0 1

Short Algebraic Problem Setup:
White: Kg1, Qe4, Rc1, Pa4, Pc6, Pf2, Pg3, Ph2
Black: Kg7, Qc7, Rd6, Pa7, Pf7, Pg6, Ph7

------------------------------

From: "alvin blazik" <ablazik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:32:44 -0400

Yes Richard, Count me in on any Tournament that you are planning.
Enjoying Chess, Alvin
----- Original Message ----- From: R Dinger

From: "Mike Gieschen" <mgieschen924@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Proposed Fall-Winter Chess Tournament
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:41:30 -0400

Hi, Richard.
Count me in.

Will this be a speed tournament? i.e? a minimum of 1 move per day.
What do you think about each round using a specific opening, so each game will have a jump start?

Thanks,
Mike

From: "alvin blazik" <ablazik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:50:17 -0400

There's a good idea, Thematic Chess. A good learning opportunity!
Alvin
--- Original Message ----- From: Mike Gieschen

From: "Lucy Jensen" <lucyjensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Problem WAC033
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:43:50 -0600

Hi Richard,
    That sounds good to me.  Lucy

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:52:49 -0700

Hi Lucy,
Are you replying to the correct message?  Did you mean the tournament?

Richard
----- Original Message ----- From: Lucy Jensen

From: "Chris C." <cchaffin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:05:35 -0400

Hi Richard,
Sure, count me in.
Good idea.

Chris

From: "Lucy Jensen" <lucyjensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:07:03 -0600

Hi Richard,
I did, indeed, reply to the wrong message and meant to say that the tournament sounded good. I don't know how I think I can play chess when I can't even handle e-mail. Sorry, Lucy ----- Original Message ----- From: R Dinger

From: Eddyz69@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:12:43 EDT
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Problem WAC033 spoiler alert

Hello All,
I propose  the following moves:  1. Qe5+ What ever, black does. 2  . Qxd6
If Black queen takes the white queen, then move up the c-file pawn
supported by the rook.
Edward Zolotarevsky

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Edward, correct Re: Re: Problem WAC033 spoiler alert
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:34:48 -0700

Hello Edward,
Correct again!

Richard
----- Original Message ----- From: Eddyz69@xxxxxxx
From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Adding theme and speed to ... Re: Re: Proposed Fall-Wint
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:58:07 -0700

Hi Mike and All,
If most players want a theme tournament, we can certainly do that. For example all games could be a Ruy Lopez opening:
1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 *
and pick up the game from that point. There is plenty of variation left to play. Of course some other opening could be used, but you get the idea.

Alternatively we could use your idea, Mike, and change the opening each month, but use the same approach of just enough moves specified to set the theme.

I am not certain game speed is a problem as most games are done in about three weeks. But we can try limiting total game duration, if you want and decide any unfinished games at the deadline by material alone (say two or three Pawns for example) and the game is a draw otherwise. Point values used are normal Queen 9, Rook 5, Bishop 3, Knight 3 and Pawn 1.

Another idea Mike had was a Swiss tournament with a different opening for each round. I was thinking about trying that in January.

Any other ideas are welcome for discussion, but let us decide on something quickly as October is coming soon.

Richard

From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] =?iso-8859-1?B?W2JsaW5kLWNoZXNzXSBQcm9wb3NlZCBGYWxsLVdpb
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:14:52 +0100

ée¡o.ªÝüù^jÇ¢?Énuéz~Sí?+½éíý8^­è¬²?zµ©d¡ûazg¨¥éâz ÿ!ûazÚ.®v¦z{b±®).¬z¯÷h¹¹^þº.?ׯz{ÿ!«,ºg­.«m.è?y¬(ºW[zØkyçb}÷«z{h¥éâz ÿy§!¦V²z»kÊ)ඨ¥éâzë¢kay¹ZrF§wbµë"uïëSmüö®"§²?ÿÿÿÿüêâ,)Ú"Ǭ±¨ÿÿÿüZè>ôCSx¯ñ&j)@uÚÞ²Ïë­Ø§?êÿ¢\©zÜ¢dzzÓ§ÿ]ÿÓßöÓ]5ëýyIéíN?Ü.ë,üIsSPv·¬³öåSwÿr¬³÷ëyéb²Ûÿ¢¸¹¸ÞrßÿnX§w÷!zËÿ>º)¢Ç?©eýh§µêÂ.ë,N<«?©zzÑâYÿ#
..Ùb'ëh'z0?ûaz·¢±©òS{^­ë-jj'?¹b?ßÜ.ë,Té>z»"?©ÚuØ­S?Ú-Ú.®v¦z{ÿºâyú.¶X§z?æÊsè¦<vÚ.®v¦z{_¢YhÂÏÓ.ëhº¹ÚTéíÂ)emæ?¹§_¢¹s·ûajج,º.¦Ê~<«¦V²z»"?§h¹¹^®<§vºS{hº¹ÚTéíýS.¦V²·
jg¬Â+ay§!¡ûaz^T·«×YÃSø¬S?í?ë0SY[zÇ­¶W?z+az¶ò¦V²þ?ߢ»byºÞjJî.ë±×o?×?o+azTZÉêìü8¯SȨY§?êìÂ)e.«Þ{%ºÈ¯yºÚ,§,¸ ?Û.zØ¥¶§{m¢êçjg§·òÊ<°¢é]-)¶Sek(§²ç!jÚ.®v¦z{ÿ¦Ws±é^¶g¤zOÿ!ü¨º¯z >
------------------------------

From: Eddyz69@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:37:37 EDT
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Adding theme and speed to ... Re: Re: Proposed Fall-

Hello All,
I love the idea of a theme tournament.  Put me in it.  Since I am  totally
blind, I will have to beat all of you with my eyes closed.
Edward Zolotarevsky

------------------------------

From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Spoiler Alert Problem WAC033
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:37:59 +0100

Hello all,
.
This posting is divided into various parts. You can jump to the headings of the sections by search/find for **, a pair of asterisks
.
** Positional evaluation of the problem
.
White is a pawn up, and that pawn is advanced to the 6th rank. The king is safe from any back-rank threats. The queen is centrally placed, and exerts some influence there. She is however, tied down to defending the c6 pawn. The rook on c1 is correctly located for attempting to push forward a passed pawn. That is, behind the pawn.
.
Black being a pawn down without any compensation, is defending. The black king is safe from back-rank mates. The queen is blockading the c6 passed pawn, not a happy role for such a powerful piece. The rook is attempting to attack and defend at the same time
.
It might appear that both white and black queen and rook are limited in opportunities. White pieces must defend the pawn to maintain winning chances, the black pieces trying to halt the further advance of the pawn

.
** Hints section, 3 hints
.
** Hint 1, to find the key move
.
The passed pawn wants to advance, what is stopping it?
.
** Hint 2, to find the key move
.
Examine a forcing move, followed by another
.
** Hint 3, to find the key move
.
In this instance, irresistible force overcomes immovable object
.
** Proposed solution to WAC033
.
A passed pawn has an insatiable desire to advance. First a forcing move, a queen fork with 1. Qe5+, and black has several replies. Obviously 1. ... Rf6 2. Qxc7 loses. If either 1. ... f6, or any legal king move, white proceeds with a second forcing move. The immovable object, the queen on c7, is deflected from her post by an irresistible force, the white queen. It is 2. Qxd6, and black has little real choice, 2. ... Qxd6, and now the c6 pawn may advance. Note how a rook and pawn here are stronger than a queen. So, 3. c7 Qd7 4. c8-Q, and a simple win for white
.
** Condensed proposed solution
.
1. Qe5+ f6 2. Qxd6 Qxd6 3. c7 Qd7 4 c8-Q
.
** Other tactical variations considered, and rejected
.
Assuming white misses the above tactic, there is an attempted invasion, 1.Qe8, intending to go to a8, and then to b7,where it challenges the blockading black queen. Black can easily stop this with, 1. ... Rd8. White must retreat the queen down the e-file, 2. Qe4, but now 2. ... Rc8, produces a much better way for black to blockade the c6 pawn. White could plan to trade queens, 3. Qd5 Rb8 4. Kg2, it is vital the king is not on the back-rank, 4. ... Rc8 5. Qd7 Kf8 6. Qxc7 Rxc7, and black can either hold the c6 pawn or capture it by closing in with the king. I think black can cope with a queen trade, but it would require care
.
** Alarm bells
.
1. Black has tried to defend actively, by placing the rook on the third rank. It would have been better on c8.
.
2. A queen is poorly placed when blockading a passed pawn, which is backed up by a rook
.
3. Once a pawn is on the 6th rank it is only 2 moves away from promotion. This should set one thinking of ways, sacrificing if necessary, to get it moving further
.
Paul Benson.

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Addition to Problem WAC033
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:12:13 -0700

Hello Puzzlers,
For all you eager problem solvers. Note there are two solutions to the problem.

Richard

------------------------------

From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:25:05 -0700

Hello Paul and others,

The theme idea appears so far to be what the players want.

So if there are enough players for a tournament, how about:
* one King Pawn, one Queen Pawn and one flank opening?
or
* three major variations of one opening like Ruy Lopez or The Sicilian?
or
* other ideas?

Richard
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Please include me for this event. There is some talk of theme openings. If
the tournament is a 4 player, double-round event, I assume that the idea
would be three different openings, each player trying the opening from the
black and white side, right?

Paul Benson.

From: Lewis <adatewithmate@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [blind-chess] Re: Adding theme and speed to ... Re: Re: Proposed
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 22:29:11 -0400

Richard and All,

I like the idea of a different theme each month as the structure for the tournament. Each player gets to play white and black for each theme.

I would prefer to finish a game every two weeks. This way each player plays the same white and black theme over a one month period. Perhaps a two move limit within a twenty-four hour period would work. This may appear quick but one game a month is somewhat sluggish.

We could possibly be mentored by some of our better players after each theme ends. One or two of the shorter and longer games can be annotated. Maybe two or so players games can be annotated each month. This would be very instructional.

These are just some flexible ideas which I am not glued to. Whatever the outcome Richard, count me in.

Lewis
"knightrider"

From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 04:28:57 +0100

ée¡o.ªÝjwZ-_ÄSØ^®?í.ë.,¬¶*'³*.T§^méhÂÈhºWp¢¹SwÿN¼>¢Ø_¢¹s¶È§r?ìyË­S÷­¢êçjg§¶Æ§vÇz'÷zu¶o"ò¶«z+~V§'S^z)à®<§wü(ºWbµ·YSÛbzè¯_ÛÞÚzÇ¥yË^wûhTªä¶o¢{k?»­S?ìéí-ªìzð??byÙZ²ÜzOæi×­¡È^²ÏÎzØZ¶s"zßéz¸Z¦Ê'yÊ..Ø"½æ­¢êçjg§¶Ø^?©z¡ö ­æ­r¬²TZÉêÿ-+âz +uæ?ý©Ý±ç°.«m.çZµ¦Ú±ë!£ -.è«}«èº¸­zö«?«b¢{­ïÚ?Û.ç-~º&¶«{óÚºP^zÊ'ÿÿÿÿó«S§jS²Æ {ÿÿÿñk¢oÑ)àz¿ÄT¨¥×kzËÿ®·bz«þ?r¥éÿr?'z{NYýxÿOÛMtÓöå'§µ:ÿnX§w÷!zËÿ~·z-+-ÿÿìþSàüIsSPv·¬³öåSwÿr¬³÷ëyéb²ßÿþÏè®®n7o·ÿÛ-)ÝýÈ^²ÏÑ{óë¢s,yÑZ-_ÖS{^¬(^²Ä躹ÚTéíée ö®.©Ý¢Ø^®ÏÓ.ëazg¢uæs¦-s®Ë(}ªí¡·°.«m.êek'«³§·ô¨?ûaz·s­ç§¢è!¦V²z»¢¶­¢êçjg§·øhÁ¦èºßÿ¢wSSxk ÿ¢w?¹ç§=¬'jwh?çåjy(¥éâzè¯ûa­ç¦j:+½ªâjبzÊ¢w¨¥éâz b'änȺ){:+N'?È¥?©ÿ¢¿è¶«?×s³ôbr«wÿÿÿó«S§jS²Æ {ÿÿÿñk¢oÿ=«¥éì¢ÿ¥«¥ý·§²?ÿ,è?zf¢-÷(þéÿN?ÿnX§w÷!zËÿ~·z-+-³ú+fôzzßÌ¢wZËôz¦×¦mêõßý´×Mÿ×fÌJæãyËÿý¹b?ßÜ.ë,ÿöåSwÿr¬³óë¢s,yÑZ-_ÖS{^¬(^²Ä躹ÚTéíüw¥-"br«wÿÿ>Ws±è§r[?zgY¢»aSǯz{ÿN«z+,¢g­jY(~Ø^Tê)zx§,ÏÈûazÚ.®v¦z{b±®).¬z¯÷h¹¹^þº.?ׯz{ÿ!«,ºg­.«m.è?y¯ð¢é]mëa­ç??÷Þ­éí¢-§Sx,ýæo?TZÉêí¯(§,Ø^¢-§Sx®?­.ïÛ.§$jwp?+^²'^þ¸ ?ßÿüö®"§²?ÿÿÿÿÿÿή("?©LzË?ïÿÿÿÿº&ýâz«üIsSPv·¬³úëv)àz¿è-*^Y÷(>ôzzÓ§ÿ]ÿÓßöÓ]5ëýyý'§µ:ÿr¬³ñ&j)@uÚÞ²ÏÛ-)ÝýÈ^²Ïß­ç¥SËlþSàý+>?ç-ÿöåSwÿr¬³óë¢s,yÑZ-_ÖS{^¬(^²Ä躹ÚTéíÿñâYÿÿò0¢é]-)¶?'£Y¶«z+Y(§µêÞ²Ö¦¢x-)ÝýÈ^²ÉzT·«²)ÿjv?v+b¢v¥¶<«?©zzßÀn¸z~<­-)Þ¡ù²¦º )¢Ç?¶<«?©zzßߢYhÂÏÿý8^¶<«?©zzÜ"-VÞi suú+T«ÿ¶­SÈ+¢êl¡÷躺ek'«²)ÚýÚ.nW«¢éÝ®?âzÚ.®v¦z{ÿb<©.¬­Â^Të0SØ^iÈh~Ø^¢Ø^¯ûa­ç©.¬z®È§Ê<«v+â²*'¢»"ƦzËhµ©ÿÿôázÚ.®v¦z{pSY[z§9ËhmêõÂ+a?©z²Ç!yÛ¥yÛhmè"z?í.ïßS»-¡÷sr¨zØl£*.¢yr.«Þ¢wsuØ­S?Ú-¦y©¨zØÿÿô躹ÚTéív+â²*'³¥.· ®<©yÖò¦V²zºÚ¶)àjÊIêmzfÞ¯^ÿü8¯SȨzØz³¥.·¬zÛey×¢¶«o*ek/è}ú+¶'>­æ¤®é^±«ÿuç"uç[ÊØ^¦V²z»ÿ+â²*'Â)çz»0SYaj÷zÅÉn²+Þn¶ ,)àþ¸ ?Û.zØ¥¶§{m¢êçjg§·ÿÿ!ü¨» ..Ùb'ëh¦V²S{.r­¢êçjg§·úey«.ëfzIèÃòÿ*..«Þ¢Ø^®'^jÊ+²è zËb¢{ÿ¦Ws±êh²Ûazkh¶¥SË_¢¿ÝSÇ.²È¨YÿÿF'!j·ÿ

From: "dauidr@xxxxxxxx" <dauidr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 04:33:27 GMT

Hi, Richard.

Count me in. I like the theme/multiple openings in a quad format. Especially, for us fans of transpositioning openings, this would be a really fun event!

David Rosenkoetter

EXPOSED: Make $99/hr Online
BREAKING NEWS: People are beating the recession by working at home.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4c8efb60a813c29d858st05vuc