[blind-chess] Re: SUGGESTING A RULE MODIFICATION

  • From: "Johannes Grib" <johannes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 16:40:55 +0200

Hello Jim,
Modify or remove?

Yes, I completely agree with you, that's how I played my correspondence
games up to now but after losing to a beginner I feel I'm perhaps short
changing myself.  I have access to modern search facilities and this rule
allowing me to consult game records exists so I might just as well start
applying it.?

Besides, how much can it hurt to win and also provide my sources afterwards
so that others can learn from it?  As it currently stands, rule 3 in the
paragraph,
"Getting Help:", below will ensure that the best researcher will become the
top player.  I further would like to see that game scores submitted for
rating gets published to the list perhaps on a monthly basis, in gazette
form so we all can learn from each other's games.

  Blind Chess Ladder Tournament Rules Apr 30, 2010

  The ladder tournament will run throughout the current year.  The rules are
as follows.

  Start: The competition will start May 1 at 12:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time
this year and on January 1 thereafter. The starting position of the ladder
will be in reverse rating rank order.

  Object: The object of the tournament is to climb the ladder by challenging
players higher up the ladder.

  Winner: The winner of the competition will be the player occupying the top
position of the ladder at the end of the current year.

  Tournament Controller: The Tournament Controller (TC) will maintain a list
of on-going and pending challenges and a list of color selections for each
player.  The Tournament Controller will also maintain and publish the
current ladder rankings.

  Terms:
  1. Challenger: the player making the challenge.
  2. Defender: the player defending the challenge.
  3. In Play: the status of players currently playing out a challenge game.

  General Tournament Concept: A player may challenge any other player one or
two places above him in the ladder.  If the challenger wins, the challenger
takes the position of the vanquished player and pushes the others below down
one rung.  If the game is a draw or the challenger loses, no change in
position is made.  A second challenge between the same two players cannot be
held until each has played a challenge match against a different player.

  Challenges are processed as follows:
  1. All challenges are sent to the Tournament Controller, for now that will
be me.
  2. The challenge simply states your name and who you are challenging.
  3. You must not be in play when you make a challenge.
  4. You may only challenge a player that is one or two rungs above you at
the time of the challenge.
  5. If the defender is not in play, the TC will send both players a message
scheduling the game.
  6. A scheduled game must begin within three days or the defender forfeits.
  7. Once a challenge is scheduled, both the challenger and defender will be
marked as in play.
  8. Some players will be idle at times during the tournament.
  9. Challenges will be processed first come first served in the order they
arrive in the TC's inbox.
  10. The state of the ladder will be published daily at first and less
frequently as activity settles down.
  11. All games will count for tournament scoring on ratings.
  12. As we gain experience with this tournament style, we can try
modifications.

  Game Load: The intent is to restrict game load to one game at a time for
any one participant in the tournament, since many are playing in other
tournaments.

  Game Colors: Each challenger will play White in odd numbered challenges.
Thus you play White for your first challenge and simply alternate colors for
each subsequent challenge you make.  The ladder ranking indicates the color
you will play the next time you make a challenge.

  Time Controls: Five days total of reflection time is allowed each player
for the entire game.  Time is counted from the time you receive a move and
you then have 24 hours to respond or you lose one day of your reflection
time.  Thus if you receive a move at 5:00 PM local time, you have until 5:00
Pm the next day to send your move without losing any reflection time.  Only
if you exceed the 24 hour rule do you lose a day of reflection time.  Times
are based on local email time stamp records, so keep both sent and received
emails until the game is completed.  You lose on time only when you exceed
the five days not when you reach five days.

  Getting Help:
  1. You may not put the game moves on a computer chess program, electronic
chess machine or similar device during the game. Even if you make your move
prior to entering a move into such a device as specific lines of play may be
suggested by the device.
  2. You may not receive help from any other person regarding your game
while the game is still in progress.
  3. You may refer to any written material such as books, opening tables and
web articles or published games as a reference at any time during your
games.

  New Player: Any new addition to the ladder after the tournament begins
will take a new rung at the bottom of the ladder.

  Disputes: Any disputes arising should be referred to the tournament
controller.

  Rule Changes: Any tournament participant may suggest rule changes at any
time during the tournament.  Changes will be adopted for the tournament if a
general consensus exists for the proposed change.