[blind-chess] More ideas on the ladder...

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acoop@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:13:25 -0500

Hello Players,

      I have written to a few of you off-list and Rod and I have some more
ideas to share on the possibilities for the ladder structure. First are a
couple of ideas from Rod:

"Don't flip the Ladder at all, ever. Instead declare a yearly champion and
flip that one person to the bottom to try again. Meanwhile everyone else
continues their climb.

Other ideas: The person in the top spot on the last day of the Ladder year
gets proclaimed the King or Queen of the year and then moves to the bottom.
The person with the best score (two points for a win, one point for a draw,
nothing for a loss) gets proclaimed Knight of the year, and so on. Only the
King or Queen gets bounced to the bottom. Other possible titles might be for
the most games played, or the biggest increase in ELO rating during the
year."

I, Andy,  would like to suggest that we use a two-year structure, which Rod
is neither for nor against. This way we could declare a champion at the end
of the first year and then declare another champion for the tournament,
which would last for two years. We could also reward with accolades anyone
with a remarkable record at the end of each year, for example most wins,
most games played, best record, most players played successfully, and so on.
(Some of these ideas come from other folks.) I definitely like the idea of
acknowledging several kinds of good ladder performance. Please let us know
your thoughts, and thanks for helping us reach a concensus.

Andy