[blind-chess] Alvin, Re: Problem 21 revisited

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:57:33 -0700

Hi Alvin,

If Black plays:
1... Qxg3+

White will respond:
2. fxg3 winning the Queen.

If Black tries the other approach:
1... Rxg3+

White uses the same reply:
2. fxg3 and the White Queen can now help defend the King.

The only move that forces the White response is:
1... Qg2+

There is only one reply other than just resigning the game:
2. Kxg2 and Black follows with mate!

Finding "forcing" moves is key to chess tactical play.  And the very best
forcing moves only allow one response--no surprises!

Richard