[bksvol-discuss] Re: yes, let's get tough.

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:36:11 -0700

I think I understand what you are doing. That will probably work fine for the header that is the name of the author, but you need to be careful for a header that, say, contains the title; because that can appear as text in the body of the book and you can delete parts of the book that way. I have seen this happen - or, rather it would have happened if I had used global search and replace. Also, I have seen headers that change with each chapter, the header being the name of that chapter. Replacing all these with nothing can create the same problem as the one with the header that is the title of the book. For headers that are consistent, that is mostly ungarbled, I generally do a confirm-type find and replace, in which I use F3 and the delete key in K1000 - or the tabbed search and replace in MS Word - in order to make sure only the headers at the top of the page are removed, and not text that is part of the book. If they are more garbled, often the case, I just remove them by hand as I come upon them while reading through the book. For books that I am scanning, if the page numbers are at the bottom of the page, I just create a margin at the top and make sure I put the book at the same place for every page. I don't think there is any one procedure for all circumstances. It depends on how consistent the headers are, where the page numbers are, and what the headers contain.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "robert tweedy" <roberttweedy@xxxxxxx>