[bksvol-discuss] Re: wicked wicket

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:25:42 -0700 (PDT)

THe word has been fixed; it's w i c k e t in the list
of books just added.

Sue, in croquet, a wicket is a metal upsidedown U. (I
googled to be sure I remembered correctly and found
out it's also someting used in the game of cricket).

I also found out that 6-wicket croquet is the most
popular tcommonly played at clubs in the U.S. I seem
to remember playing with 10--3 on each side, 2 at the
beginning and two at the end.

One hits a wooden ball with a wooden mallet through
wickets in a certain order and finally through the
last two wickets to hit a stake behind them. The first
person to do that wins. It's harder than it sounds,
especially since someone else can hit your ball out of
the way, or your ball can hit the side of a wicket
instead of going through and be in a bad position. One
occasionally sees the game played in movies involving
upperclass 19th-century English people.

Cindy

---