[bksvol-discuss] Re: who we are

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:23:38 -0500 (EST)

Pratik

If Benetech is unwilling to supply some concrete answers, and I can
understand why they may be unwilling to do so given the reasons you have
outlined, this would suggest to me that the numbers may be so dismal that
it wouldn't serve them competitively.
If that is the case, then this calls to question the worth while of
spending, as some of us do, hundreds of hours a year in intentionally
scanning and validating material for BookShare.
If few people read the books, then time could be better spent elsewhere;
on the other hand, if many benefit from the books, then the effort is
definitely worth while and this would encourage others (both sighted and
handicappted) to offer their services.
Elizabeth's questions cut to the core of the value of Bookshare to end
users; and Benetech, if it expects donations both of dollars and time, has
to be able to address these especially now that the service has been
around for a number of years.
I'd suggest that organizations such as RFB&D have established such success
and longevity as they have successfully demonstrated the value of their
service to their target audience.