[bksvol-discuss] Re: when to go from .kes to .rtf

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:57:45 -0400

Bud,

I prefer to work in the .kes (kesi) file format until either when I'm ready
to submit it or when I'm confident that I have the book ready to upload for
completing the validation phase.  The Kesi file format affords certain
advantages when working directly in Kurzweil 1000.  The first and the
foremost reason is the speed.  It takes much less time for Kurzweil 1000 to
open and save Kesi files.  With RTF files, K1K hasto convert each time.
Kesi files can also save navigation information along with layout
information.  The user-defined page numbers are only saved in the Kesi
files.  No other file format has the advantage of saving that data.
Spelling preferences are also saved by Kesi files (including a list of
ignored words).  With a book that I download for validation, my first step
often is to resave it as a Kesi file.  This gives me two advantages: 1)
speed, as I mentioned above; and 2) it allows me to save the original file,
for the unknown eventuality that I make some absolutely horrid mistake.

HTH.

Pratik