[bksvol-discuss] Re: weather around the country

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 05:37:33 -0500 (EST)

There also, DAve, is another book called "isaac's Storm" in the BookShare
which describes the devastating 1900 hurricane which destroyed Galveston,
TX.
And Shelley has done several books which describes very disastrous weather
phenomenon.
One book that would be nice in having in The BookShare collection was done
by former NHC weather forecaster Bob Sheets.
I believe it's called "hurricane."  I recently checked our local public
library's collection and, unfortunately, they don't have the title;, if
they did, I would have taken it out and scanned it for the collection.

Speaking of earthquakes, one thing that makes the ones in the Midwest and
East different from those experienced in California is that the ones in
the Midwest and East tend to more be rolling ones meaning that their felt
zones tend to be much larger.
I don't quite understand why this is except that the faults apparently are
of a different kind and the underlying rock bases somehow also influence
this.
Pretty amazing stuff.