[bksvol-discuss] Re: venting my frustrations

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:59:10 -0600

I hope you mean that the form should be on a page by itself not that it should be opened in a new window in your browser. I say this because opening pages in new windows without the user asking that to be done causes compatibility issues with some browsers and some devices. I think you only mean you would like the form's page to be less cluttered. I agree that it could be less cluttered, but clutter is convenience to some people and clutter to others. It is just a fact of browsing the web.

I don't know what screen reader you use, but i think that window-eyes and JAWS work very very similarly on web pages, so I think I can give you tips for getting the form filled out with the least amount of effort. I would also suggest that anyone who uses the web with a screen reader should read that section of the screen reader manual. You wouldn't believe how much more efficient at navigation you can become in no time at all. Unlike many other screen reader commands, most of the ones for web pages are easy to remember. It's only table reading commands that seem a bit baffling.

When you arrive on the bookshare submit page you should immediately use the link at the very top of the page that says "skip to main content". Your screen reader also has a command to skip past links which will do almost as well as that link, but the command might not be the same in all programs and you get some other junk on most bookshare pages. That is what that link has been put there for. Now press F to bring you to the first form field. This will be title. press enter on the title edit. When you have entered that information a tab will take you to the language combo-box. A single tab will take you from field to field without any extra keystrokes. Everything is simple as far as navigation is concerned until you get to the silent spot. The silent spot is the browse button used for finding the file you wish to upload. If you are paranoid you can exit forms mode to see that the browse button is indeed what you have been placed on. The button is only silent when your screen reader is in the mode used for filling out forms. It is unfortunate that the button is silent, but once you know that it is no longer a problem. After all the buttons on your phone aren't marked, but because they never change you can handdle them without a problem. As far as I can tell it is not bookshare's fault, or even that of the screen reader makers that that dumb button doesn't speak. I have used other sites with browse buttons and none of them speak. they seem to be a weird beast in Explorer. In firefox the browse button is spoken. However you identify the button, just press enter on it and you'll be in a familiar looking dialog, because it is the exact same dialog used throughout windows for opening a file. Hitting Alt-I while in that dialog will take you to the "look in" list where you can select a drive or location where your file is. It depends on your version of windows how many tabs it takes to get to the list of files and folders in that location. I think this is by far the easiest way to pick a file to upload. Except for the poor people who have a computer that freezes up when they hit enter on the browse button, I don't understand why people insist on typing the path and filename of the book they want to upload. It's so easy to mess up.

Now there is just one tab necessary once you've picked the file to be uploaded to get to the short synopsis field. Once that is filled out there will be a help link before you get to the next thing to be filled out. Is one extra tab so terrible?

Now you will get to the Adult content check-box. I would exit forms mode at this point because check-boxes tend to work just as well or much better when you just use space to check and uncheck them while not in forms mode. Your screen reader might not read the check-box titles as it should otherwise. I haven't investigated why this is the case on the bookshare page. that might be something that could be improved.

when you have selected all the categories that apply to your book you can either use the screen reader command to go to the next edit-box if your screen reader has such a command, or you can hit Control-F and type in ISBN and press enter. That will take you to the next field, which is obbviously the edit-box for filling in the ISBN. You'll need to go back in to forms mode to fill it in.

Now there will be another help link and then the quality radio buttons. Many pages have radio buttons that don't speak correctly, but the ones on the bookshare page work just fine. Make a selection and then you can just tab to the last two controls which are for long synopsis and comments. After you fill in any comments one more tab takes you to the upload button. I'd advise reviewing what you have filled in on the form before hitting enter on the upload button, but of course that is up to you. If you aren't in forms mode and have finished with the form you can press B to jump directly to the next button. That might appeal to you since there are only three buttons on the page, start search, browse, and upload.

I'd love it if you had some feedback while the file is being uploaded, but even if you get progress reports the progress bar lies, so it's just a lot of jabber without much value. Not sure anything can be done about that. So what's new, life is like that and although we seem to suffer more from stupid issues, I know sighted people find a lot of things they have to use un-ideal as well, and in the case of Explorer progress bars we are totally equal.

I hope this helps a little anyway. :-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity