[bksvol-discuss] Re: venting my frustrations

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:55:14 -0600

Tom,

From what Gustavo has told me, the most common error related to filling out
the copyright fields on the submission form is entering the publisher in the
copyright name field instead of the copyright holder.  Because he has to
kick so many books back due to this error, you should always provide
information about the copyright holder in the comments field when the
copyright holder turns out to be the publisher after all.  In this instance,
I believe it is well worth the trouble of verifying the copyright holder
through an internet site like www.copyright.gov or through sighted
assistance then including a comment informing him that you have verified
that the copyright is actually the publisher and include an explanation of
how you went about verifying it.  If the book isn't a new release, then I'd
recommend using the www.copyright.gov site since Gustavo can reference the
site if he wishes.

As for opening the book up and looking for himself, that isn't always the
most reliable way to verify something as important as the copyright
information since the volunteers who are putting the publisher in the
copyright name field by accident could have been confused enough about
copyright to have changed that line before submission.  Granted that it's
unlikely, but if I were in Gustavo's shoes, I wouldn't feel comfortable
about trusting the contents of a submission by someone who couldn't fill the
form out properly due to a possible lack of understanding of copyright.

I understand your frustration, but when you take into consideration the
number of books Gustavo has actually approved this year, it's understandable
if he accidentally kicks one back by accident every now and then.  I'm not
sure, but I believe Marissa approved a handful of the 4900 books which have
been added so far this year.  Even if she did, I'd suspect that Gustavo's
approved at least 4700 of those 4900 books, if not 4850 of them.  With that
many books being approved, it's bound to happen since he is always going to
err on the side of caution since adding a book to the collection which has
incorrect copyright information has the potential to be a more serious
problem than frustrating a volunteer over getting their book kicked back by
accident.

BTW, the staff is aware that it would be helpful for the system to notify a
volunteer when one of their validations is kicked back or accepted.  As long
as Bookshare has limited resources though, Engineering will have to postpone
some upgrades which volunteers want in order to make improvements which will
have a greater impact on members and volunteers.

Again, I understand your frustration.  I've had a book kicked back on me
too, and from what Gustavo and I were able to determine, it was due to
nothing more than his approving books when he should have been in bed
instead.  My kickback didn't even happen to have a note.  It just looked
like Gustavo clicked the wrong button because he was tired.

Gerald