[bksvol-discuss] Re: validation question

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:10:21 -0500

Rebecca,

You'll get the best results by reading the book all the way through and
cleaning up as you go.  Bookshare can't enforce this, , however, so there's
no requirement for it.  As you read in the instructions, Bookshare does ask
that you at least check the end of the file to make sure it ends in a
complete sentence.

As for which characters to remove, that's hard to say without using
examples.  You'll get a feel for that as you gain experience, though.

Not sure what you mean by numbers on the copyright page unless you're
talking about the sequence of numbers which is normally found near the
bottom of copyright pages.  It has some significance to publishers and is
usually something like the following: 10987654321, or 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

Now, as for which software will be more efficient in validating a book, I'd
say that depends on which one you're more familiar with.  Both have
advantages and disadvantages.  Some of us like the more powerful Search and
Replace found in Word, while others will tell you they can't live without
the Ranked Spelling feature in K-1000.

I encourage you to visit Jake's website and read the tips that volunteers
have posted under the Bookshare Expansion Initiative link.  Many of the FAQs
which are not covered by the instructions are answered there.

http://www.jbrownell.com/

HTH

Gerald