[bksvol-discuss] Re: validation notification

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:39:22 -0600

Katie,

I agree.  This is near the top of my wish list for small effort/large impact
changes.

If it were up to me, though, I'd choose first to automate Marissa's List and
have links for Books Out For Validation and Books Awaiting Admin Approval
available next to the Step 1 Download and Step 2 Upload links on Bookshare's
website.  I'd estimate the effort at 1 or two days at most with the best
case at half a day since they already know how to generate the information.
It has less risk too, since the testing's simpler and even if someone
managed to goof it, it wouldn't be like sending out messages to the wrong
addresses or getting back a bunch of undeliverable messages to the Bookshare
system.  The only penalty would be the e-mail messages to Support saying
they screwed it up.  I think this change would also have a larger impact on
the volunteering community.

There are some other changes that fall into the small effort/large impact
category which could possibly end up being chosen first by Bookshare when
funds become available, but this one is still near the top of my wish list,
if not second. I have no idea where either falls on Bookshare's priority
list, however.

Gerald