[bksvol-discuss] Re: validating books

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 19:48:16 -0400

Hi, Rebecca. I'm glad you're interested in helping out. (smile) That pesky volunteer form hasn't worked right for awhile, and they're planning to fix that this summer. In the meantime, I would suggest sending an email to volunteers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to offer to volunteer.

When you become a volunteer, you're get a nice email with some helpful directions for how to work with the books here. The list is a great place to ask for help and get ideas for making the work easier and faster to do. We're all still learning as we go and having fun along the way.

As for knowing if pages are missing and such, you can usually tell because either the text will sound wrong going from one page to the next, or the table of contents will say there is at least 240 pages while you only find 180 pages of text. On the last book I rejected, the table of contents said that the index to the book started on page 203. The table of contents was in the book file I was validating. When I got to page 169 and saw it was the end of the file, I knew there was a problem. The end of that page had half a sentence on it, so it was obvious that there should have been more pages after that. See what I mean?

Again, I'm glad you're here, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you as we work together. (smile)

On Saturday 5/6/2006 06:37 PM, you wrote:
Hi everyone. I tried to fill out the volunteer form on the web site. It says that I"m already a member which I am so I'm not sure what else to do. I did sign the agreement. I'm interested in helping to validate books. What all do you have to do besides edit errors? How do you know if pages are missing if you don't have the book? Just curious.
Rebecca and Seeing Eye dog Sherman
email only rilniski@xxxxxxxxxxx
msn rebecca.ilniski@xxxxxxxxxxx
aim rebeccai27