[bksvol-discuss] Re: validating

  • From: "Lynn I" <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:14:32 -0600

Hi All,

I just want to echo what Elizabeth has said. When I proofread, I read every
word of the book. I catch a lot of errors that way, but there is no
substitute for the spell checker. I'm amazed at what it finds. Even then, I
have yet to put up a book with no errors, it seems I invariably miss
something.

Also for the new proofreaders ... The more you proofread, the better you
become. Like others have said, the easiest way to begin is to proofread a
smaller book such as a children's book. Also, ask questions if you don't
understand something. That's the only way to learn. I know from my own
experience that proofreading can seem like a daunting task at first. Just
remember that everyone who does it had to start somewhere.

When I first began proofreading, I talked to another volunteer that I knew
from a book club. She helped me immeasurably. To this day, I still ask her
questions and rely on her expertise.

Happy New Year and happy proofreading.

Blessings.

Lynnsky