[bksvol-discuss] Re: validating

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 23:13:58 -0500

Evan and Bob, I come at this from an opposite approach. I tried doing
as Evan does, and that doesn't work as well for me. I'll share what
does help me in case it works for someone else here. I do the opposite
of most of you for two reasons. First, I use rank spelling to give me
a bird's eye view of the scan. From this I can quickly zero in on
garbled pages or damage in the scan and can determine if I'm going to
need to track down the submitter or a print copy of the book to rescan
pages. I know I'm headed for a rough ride if I'm seeing a low accuracy
rate with words that aren't proper names. From there, I can decide if
I have the time, access to the book, and other resources to validate
the book well. I can send an email to the submitter and start the
process of getting the pages I need while I work on the sections of
the book that are in decent shape. And I can reject the book if it
needs more than a few pages replaced.

My second reason for running rank spelling first is that I see fixing
up a book as similar to preparing land for a garden. I clear away the
huge, obvious boulders and dead tree limbs first so that preparing the
soil is much easier. I don't have to keep getting off my tractor to
move things when I run into them. By using rank spelling, I can
quickly spot words that have scanned wrong throughout the whole book
and can fix them without much trouble. As for reading them in context,
that is easy to do with Kurzweil's read context command or by pressing
control e to go to the word in the document to edit it or examine it.
Dialect is easy to spot since it's usually in quotes and tends to
follow one of several similar patterns. After validating dozens of
books, you come to understand what kinds of words are often used in
dialect. I don't think you'll ever see dialect using the word cbange.
By reading the context, you can clearly tell that the word should be
change. Once the really obvious scannos are dealt with, the book
becomes more comfortable and pleasant to read. I quickly check the
book for scannos a spellchecker can't catch like die for the. Then I
can focus on actually reading the book itself.

Part of my way of doing things is because my mind filters out scannos
if I'm really getting involved in a book. I think it's easier to do
this using speech. I get so focused on who the bad guy is or if the
good guy can escape from a gun-toting psychopath that my brain just
automatically substitutes the correct word for me. I also tend to
validate while doing something with my hands like folding laundry or
scanning another book. Stopping every couple of lines to fix something
would frustrate and annoy me. I find it difficult to sit still in
front of my computer and just listen to a book. I seriously
contemplated stopping my validating last year. Then I sat down with
Jim Baugh and talked through where I was having trouble. I developed a
system that works well for me that I could stick with and not get
frustrated or burned out.

--
Monica Willyard