[bksvol-discuss] validaters, submitters, et al

  • From: "Shannon A. Reece" <shazza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 07:05:09 -0700

Hi everybody.
With the various discussions we are having about things on this list, I did
feel the need to say that I, as a member of Bookshare and a reader of books
first, am so highly appreciative of both the submitters and validaters for
what they do and the amazing number of books you have given us to read.
Mike, I fully appreciate your concern about the validaters possibly, and
certanly not purposefully, hurting a submitters's work.  Because of this and
because of the time you took to try to explain, I am going to leave all
headers alone so that if they get stripped, it's the stripper's problem not
mine.  Perhaps I am different, but the insertion of a page number or a title
into the middle of a sentence as my Book Port reads a Book Share book, has
never irritated me.  As a matter of fact, I kind of enjoy it because it
makes me feel like I'm reading a book on my own rather than the beautifully
perfect narrated books of NLS.  I like it.
Now speaking as a novice validater to any submitter, please keep in mind
that we don't *want!* to ruin what you do!  That is the very last thing we
want, for if it were not for the submitters, we wouldn't have the books!  So
please be patient with us, as Mike has been.  Outline your thoughts as Mike
has done because it is only by you, the submitters, trying to explain that
we will learn.  All we want is to do things right, and it can be
disheartening to a novice validater to see what, on the surface, appear to
be critical comments by a possibly rightfully unhappy submitter about what
validaters may have inadvertently done.
The main thing is, we are all trying, in our own ways, to make Bookshare a
good place to be in the ways that our talents dictate.
So thank you Mike for taking the time to write out that message because it
truly did help me.
Shannon