[bksvol-discuss] Re: txt page breaks redux

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:25:59 -0500

Dare I suggest rationality?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 1:33 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: txt page breaks redux

Guido,
Here's a thought. Since there are lots of books on the download page which are not in the txt format, and since there are people willing to work on those which you find unredeemable and others who would be
interested in reading cleaned up versions of same, why don't you concentrate on the better quality or at least the non txt items rather than imposing your standards on the whole of BookShare, especially in the
absence of word from the powers that be regarding this issue?
In a note to Kelly, you wondered rhetorically what part of the words pride of work people don't understand. In turn, I wonder what gives you the right to grant yourself the authority to set standards which BookShare
itself simply has not set. This whole problem can be avoided if you just set the selection of books on step one to be viewed to something other than all formats, e.g. kes or rtf.
There is room for interpretation with respect to the "readability" standard. But until BookShare comes out with a guideline regarding this whole page break business that will supercede what Marissa said before the
Christmas break, I'd say your position on the page break issue is more like disregard of present policy rather than pride of work.
I sure hope the staff at BookShare reaches consensus soon on this issue and then, let us all live with that decision, whatever it may be.
Mary