[bksvol-discuss] Re: .txt and .rtf

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 06:09:22 -0500 (EST)

Cindy

The only way to know that a book gets kicked back is by checking the Step
1 listing.  I think what is happening is that a number of us have grown
sensitized to the issue and routinely check that page for books we've
validated.

Right now, looking at that page, BookShare's problem isn't getting scanned
books.  It is processing books through validation and then getting the
administrative clearance following that.
Typically, the Step 1 page lists 550-600 books needing validation.
Moreover, I've validated somewhere in the range of10-15 titles in the last
couple of weeks which now await processing in Palo Alto.
Hence, BookShare is getting plenty of scans.  The bottleneck is getting
those scans through validation and then final approval.
Certainly, we can help on the validation end.  Unfortunately, that final
step is beyond our reach as that requires action in Palo Alto.
My hunch is that Palo Alto right now has more on its plate than it can
handle; the old addage "overworked and understafgfed."