[bksvol-discuss] Re: turning off insert mode with jaws in Word

Actually, it rather depends on the way jaws is configured what the
insert key does.  It's found in the general tab, keyboard options, of
configuration manager, e.g., insert keyboard 6, then alt s & k.  By
default, jaws is generally configured to use both the numpad &
extended insert for the same purpose.  This can, however, be changed
if a program, such as word, actually uses the extended insert key for
1 of its functions. By default, the option "use extended insert key"
is checked but can be unchecked should the extended insert be needed
by the program.

The key below the insert key is delete. I would also say that in the
absence of jaws, numpad 0 w/the numlock off functions as an insert
key, 1 is as good as the other. The difference is the scan code
generated by each key but, though different, both are interpreted as
an insert key. Jaws takes over the numpad 0 & also the extended insert
for its use if that option is checked in configuration manager, above.

I think that clarifies everything, but if not, let me know.

On 12/16/07, Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Actually, Lissi, you got into type-over mode.  You probably hit the
> home key, figuring that you'd go to the beginning of the line, and
> either your finger hit both the Insert Key and the Home Key,  or it
> just landed plunk on it by mistake.  Just plunk it again, the Insert
> Key.  It's a toggle.  Jaws should say, Insert Mode.  Plunk it again,
> and Jaws should say, Type-over Mode.
>
> Ann P.
>
> --
> Ann K. Parsons