[bksvol-discuss] turning off insert mode with jaws in Word

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:20:52 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends,

Two nights ago while validating in Microsoft word 2003, I think, with JAWS 8.0, without meaning to change things, letters began disappearing when I tried to edit. When I inserted a letter, the letter following it disappeared, so each change created a new problem.

I found a more time consuming way to continue working by moving to a new line and inserting what I needed where no letters followed and then using backspace to reconnect the word.

Since I know Jamie works in word, I asked her off list about the problem and she guessed I'd somehow gotten into something called insert mode which I'd never heard of but which sounded like a probable cause of my problem.

I searched through Word's menus and couldn't figure out what I should change. Then I wondered if there was a JAWS related command I should be using.

By closing my validation file, shutting down my computer and restarting, the problem disappeared on its own.

Does anyone know how I can turn insert mode off if this should happen again. It has happened before, but then I just shut down without asking about a solution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Always with love,

Lissi