[bksvol-discuss] Re: tools of the trade

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:38:26 -0500

Good question, Bob. I don't have Kurzweil and wish a rank spelling tool like it has was available in Word. smile.

I use Word to validate and find that it's essential. I use its spell-checker on every book, so that has to be loaded in the installation of Word. I also learned how to use the advanced wild card search and replace functions in Word and find that invaluable.

I have tried pulling the .rtf files into WordPerfect because WordPerfect works better with my Dragon NaturallySpeaking software. Unfortunately, WordPerfect uses a non-compliant version of .rtf and can really explode the size of the .rtf files and does some other funky things. Therefore, I do not recommend WordPerfect as an alternative to Word.

I haven't tried loading a .rtf file into OpenOffice, but I suspect that it's 100% compliant, unlike WordPerfect. So OpenOffice might provide a free alternative to Word.

Judy s.

Bob wrote:
A recent discussion about whether or not page numbers are enough, got me to thinking: what are the necessary tools for a scanner/validator?

Just like a plumber showing up to work with a needle and thread as his only arsenal against backed up sinks or other water-related malfunctions. (I won't dwell on that picture, as the visualization can be downright gruesome. But, you get my point.) The right tools can simplify the toughest tasks. So, what tools do you consider necessary for scanning or validating?

I'll leave the discussion of the necessary scanning tools to others since scanning is not my forté.

For validating, however, I think some version of msword is sufficient, but not necessary. The book often determines the need for word. If one is going to be required to change page images to page breaks, I know of no other way to do it, except in word. Word's spell checking function is a good tool, and sometimes can be made to pick out problems that other software doesn't touch.

I personally rely heavily on Kurzweil, especially its rank spelling tool. I believe there may be a similar function in OpenBook.

So, if I had either Word or Kurzweil to work with, I think I could validate most books.

What tools do you consider necessary to do our jobs?

Bob
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead