[bksvol-discuss] the list comes to the rescue

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare volunteer discussion" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 06:30:53 -0500

Hello gang.
I just finished proofreading a book. When I got the book, the number of pages
that Kurzweil said it had did not match at all with what the book thought it
had. It wasn't even close, and I knew that the bookshare staff wouldn't accept
a book in that much disarray. So, grumbling horrendously I started putting in
page breaks where there were page numbers, and taking out page breaks that
Kurzweil had kindly inserted at random. Those who have changed a book in this
manner will testify to the fact that it is a long an arduous task.

Then up popped a topic on this list about page breaks, line breaks and line
feeds. And I thought to myself--I live alone so I might have even thought out
loud--"I wonder if this book might have section breaks where page breaks should
be. So I brought the book up in word and discovered that indeed there was a
section break where I wanted a page break. Those of you who have been on this
list for any length of time know that we've had numerous discussions about this
very topic. In fact, I used to automatically check for section breaks as a
matter of form, but, I got so many "section break not found"s that I quit doing
it.

Anyway, I changed all the section breaks to page breaks, brought the book up in
Kurzweil and, ahhaa! it worked.

So, thanks to the list, I don't have to grow old with this book still in my
proofreading cue. It's sent off for staff to check out.

Although this is a good advertisement for scannors and proofers to read this
list, the folks who need the testimonial won't read it. Therefore, let me just
say thanks to a supportive group like this one.

Bob
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead