[bksvol-discuss] Re: the apple tree and other stories

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, hyphens shold be eliminated, ,even when they are
at the end of a sentence or the end of a page. Close
up the word and put it on one lineor page or the
other. EM dashes -- wich separate phrases, should be
reatined, however.

Some compound words, however, that are now put
together used to be hyphenated, and they should remain
hyphenated. An example might be  place-cards insread
of placecards, or make-up (cosmetics) instead of
makeup. And, of course, compund words  when they are
adjectives instead of by themselves ae hyphenated,
e.g., sixteen-ton truck.

I'm afraid my examples aren't very good -- maybe
make-up is always hyphenated, but you get the idea.
Where  i owuld be confusing to have the words
together, because they voice reader might read them
incorrectly, e.g., reestablish instead of
re-establish, a hyphen is helpful.

I hope I don't sound too "teacherish".

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com