[bksvol-discuss] Re: tables in Bookshare books plus another question

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 18:26:48 -0700

Hi Devorah,

My suggestion would be to convert the tables to text, replacing all tabs with a single space, as the bookshare processing tools remove all tabs, and more than a single space between words.

As for your quote, it read fine to me. Interesting how things were written differently back then. Neat to see!

Hope I haven't discouraged you too much about the tables thing.

Good luck.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 06:04 PM 4/9/2008, you wrote:
What is the protocol for tables?
I?ve got quite a few in the book I?m validating ? I?m using a library copy of the printed book because the scanned version is all goofed up, as I would expect. But what I?m doing is using tab stops and recreating a table in tabular form. Will this work for folks? If not, what should I be doing?

She says, halfway through the book and hadn?t thought of asking before now!

Also, I?m wondering what screen readers will do with this quote from an 18th century midwife. Can someone reassure me that it is decipherable? 17 F At ditoes & Mr Poores. Birth 47th a daughter. At Capt Meloys allso Rainy. I was Calld from Mr Parkers at 2 hour morn to Mr Poores. Doct Page was Calld before my arival. I Extracted the Child, a dagt. He Chose to Close the Loin. I returnd home at 8 hour morning. Receivd 6/ as a reward. Mr Ballard & Ephm attend worship, Dolly & Sally aftern. Charls and John Coks supt here. I was calld to Capt meloys at 11 hour Evening. Raind. Birth Mr Poores daughter X X