[bksvol-discuss] Re: stepping back a bit from volunteering

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:43:41 -0500

How long have you been a volunteer Barbara? I have been a volunteer for five years and we keep re-hashing the same difficulties for the entire five year period. That is the reason I am discouraged.

E.
At 05:29 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:
Why are you discouraged? You had one bad conversation, that's all. I understand why you want to stop volunteering for a while. It takes so much time if you are conscientious.

Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Folks I am releasing some books. I am doing so because I realize I need to
take a break from volunteering. The phone call with Gustavo was the final
straw. Perhaps I should have emailed him rather than trying to have a
conversation. I will finish what I am working on and then only take on
things very selectively.

I did enough validating last year to entirely pay for this year's
subscription. I am stepping back for now until I feel less sad and
discouraged.

E.
At 04:39 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow Booksharians,
>
>Most of you are familiar with the common situation that while studying
>medicine, Future Doctors, Nurses, etc. become convinced they exhibit the
>symptoms they are reading about and are suffering from the catostrophic or
>rare illnesses in their textbooks. What they are really suffering from is
>emersion in the details of pathology, anxiety, exhaustion and paranoia.
>
>I'm experiencing a similar bout of the frets. As I read about bee es oze,
>entering editors' names correctly, kick backs, and incomplete and
>incorrect information in the uploading form, my anxiety about a book I
>uploaded a few days ago is mounting exponentially!
>
>It was a BSO. It had a long title. It has both an author, an editor and a
>copyright under neither of their names. All I can think about is that the
>scanner's hard work and mine as validator will be lost, that I'll cause
>Gustavo to gnash his teeth, that the book will be kicked back or forgotten
>on the back burner because I made a hash of the upload. I'm already 99
>percent sure the answer to my question is, "No Way! Just wait and see like
>the rest of us." But, I have to ask.
>
>Is there any way we can access our uploading form once we've sent it, to
>reassure ourselves we've filled it out right, or to fix something we
>suspect we overlooked? It's like going back home, letting yourself in, and
>checking that the stove is turned off. Is it possible?
>
>I need to stay busy, easy since I've got plenty to do, and let time tell,
>but I had to ask.
>
>Always with love,
>
>Lissi

>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list

Barbara