[bksvol-discuss] Re: stepping back a bit from volunteering

  • From: "Kaitlyn" <kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 05:58:01 -0800

HI E,

I have only been here about two years.... Gees, it doesn't seem that long.
This is not directed at any one person but maybe at the problem that most
businesses that depend on volunteers experience. Part of this comes out of
my years working with AOL  and managing a group of volunteers for many
years.

It is sad, when a business or organization, that depends on volunteers like
Bookshare does, doesn't respect and consider where they might be without
them. The business end takes on the attitude that the volunteer is just
that. Someone  who wants to give some time. With the number of people they
have in house how quickly would the collection be growing without the
volunteer. As with AOL, it is the volunteers out here on the front line,
that truly keeps the wheels greased and moving.

WE would not be having these discussions every 6 months if the volunteer
didn't care. We can only hope that the needs of the "workers"  "volunteers"
will one day be heard and move beyond what we have today

Katie Hill
You can learn a lot if you are humble enough to listen.
Lynn Lewis Warren
Email: Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
503-777-7155