[bksvol-discuss] Re: spelling checkers

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:06:08 -0700

Earlier this week I posted about my foray into validating.  I got in a
couple this week.  I did my first 2.  I did run spell checker on 'em.  It
does take some time and I had to make some calls sometimes to figure out
what the context was.  Words that really are not words were in the text,
sort of  what do you call it-- literary slang?  Like dat for that, or
nuttin' for nothing.  Stuff like that.  But I found it did catch a lot more
than what I did by just listening to my speech read it.  I do agree with its
value.  Whatever can be done with these copies to ensure highest quality as
they are prepared for long term placement in the Bookshare library seems a
worthwhile thing.

Today I started in on my third book, doing the John Peel series, wanting to
work through some of the .ARK files on the step 1 page.  I used the OpenBook
spell checker.  First time I had really ever used it.  I used Word for the
earlier files.  I don't know if one is better, but they both seemed good.
Practicing will likely get me better with the keyboard shortcuts on the
spell chccking.   (er, UH, UH,  I mean check king).  <g>

Rik