[bksvol-discuss] Re: speech problems

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:00:26 -0600

Do they pause properly for double or em-dashes?  My other annoyance is
hearing dot dot dot said with a pause between each when there is an
elipsis.  I also don't want to hear apostrophes when they are used for
single quotes. If they behave correctly in those situations I might not
mind them even if I am not a fan of that type of TTS, meaning
concatonated real human speech.  With Keynote and ViaVoice I can tell if
something is weird even without all punctuation being spoken, and that
is what I would like in a new synthesizer.  I'll check out the site with
your recommendations.
One more question.  Is there any way to try a demmo of them that would
only run for a limitted time, but can be installed on your computer?
You can hear what the voice sounds like from samples, but not how it
behaves with your hardware and software.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity