[bksvol-discuss] Re: solution for The Broker (sort of)

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:47:44 -0600

I would like to see the stripper seriously revamped, or, barring that,
removed. The fact that NLS books don't have page numbers is what often makes
them useless for anything except straight pleasure reading. I of all people
have nothing against straight pleasure reading, which I do entirely too much
of, but really I don't see why Bookshare should emulate one of NLS's least
desirable characteristics. I don't like dealing with strings of junk
characters that are the scrambled version of the headers, but I really do
want page numbers. The idea of embedding them in some kind of tag would be
great. The thing is, Bookshare has a category for textbooks, but if they're
not navigable they're almost worse than useless. I would be extremely
disgusted if there were an excellent quality version of a textbook I needed
on Bookshare but I couldn't use it simply because its page numbers were
stripped. I don't even have a reader, and the idea of needing one because of
something like this is worse than aggravating. After all, one thing
Bookshare can give its members is greater independence in accessing printed
materials. Let's not let an overzealous header stripper deprive us of that
independence and downgrade the quality of the collection.