[bksvol-discuss] Re: soft page breaks

  • From: "Chela Robles" <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:56:38 -0700

wow thanks Chela
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Denise Thompson
  To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 7:39 PM
  Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: soft page breaks

  Folks, I don't know if this is helpful because I'm not sure about the soft
page break - I mean if this is the same thing, but when I was finished scanning
Whispers At Midnight in OB the book had 401 pages. When I opened it up in Word
to check it, it had over 600 pages. I can't remember the exact number now. Most
of the discussion about what to do has been for kurzweil- not OB so I went to
the on-line MS help and found a number of articles about find and replace
formatting, etc. This is the formula I used in trial to see what would happen.
It worked great. With one fell swoop my over 600 page document was back to it's
exact 401 pages. I'm including it here for any brave souls or probably more
accurately- desperate souls to try. Desperate meaning me since I didn't want to
turn in any more books for proofing that were unacceptable. You have to type
the formula as it is written here. For any screen reader folks. Read it letter
by letter many of the characters aren't spoken in general reading. Hear you go.
I've decided to paste the entire article that I copied parts of below the top
stuff about paragraphs. It may have some other info that a few will find
helpful. For example, I think using one technique described the underlining
Chela found could be replaced through find and replaced too.

  Denise

  Sometimes when you paste into Word from other applications, non-printing
characters paste in that display as paragraph marks but don't behave like
"proper" paragraph
  breaks should - they behave like manual line breaks. The character code for a
paragraph mark is 13 (as can be shown be selecting one and running a macro
  containing the line: MsgBox Asc(Selection.Text)).

  Replacing ^013 with ^p fixes the problem.

  If you have pasted a file into Word in which each "line" ends with a
paragraph mark and each "paragraph" ends with two or more paragraph marks:
  1.    On the Edit Menu, choose Replace.
  2.         In the Find What box, enter:
  ([!^13])(^13)([!^13])
  In the Replace With box, enter:
  \1 \3
  Click the More.. button, and check "Use Wildcards".
  Click Replace All and click OK when Word tells you it has done the
replacement.
  This will remove any paragraph marks that are at the end of a line but within
a paragraph.
  3.         Now, in the Find What box, enter:
  ^13{2,}
  In the Replace With box, enter:
  ^p
  Click Replace All and click OK when Word tells you it has done the
replacement.
  This will remove multiple consecutive paragraph marks, so that each paragraph
ends with just one paragraph mark, as it should.
  Note that the "Use Wildcards" setting is "sticky", so if you subsequently do
another Find and Replace during the same Word session, you have to remember to
switch it off again, if appropriate.

  You can remove most empty paragraphs from a document by doing a wildcard Find
& Replace.

  Replace: ^13{2,} with ^p, which replaces all occurrences of two or more
consecutive paragraph marks with one paragraph mark.

  Finding & Replacing non-printing characters
  On the Edit menu choose Replace.

  In the Find & Replace dialog, click in the Find What box and Click the More
button.

  Either type the character code you need (for instance, you can type ^p in the
Find What box to represent a paragraph mark); or, if you didn't happen to know
that the character code you needed was ^p, click the Special button, and select
an item from the list.

  If you use the Special button, a special code representing the non-printing
character will be inserted in the Find What box.  For instance, if you selected
  Paragraph Mark, ^p will be inserted.

  Do the same in the Replace With box. For instance, to replace all manual line
breaks with paragraph marks, you would replace ^l with ^p.  Or to delete all
  manual page breaks, replace ^m with nothing.  Once you know the special codes
you can just type them; but the Special button is invaluable at first!

  Note: these character codes are case-sensitive: for instance, ^P is not
valid.

  If you leave the Replace With box empty, the search string in the Find What
box will be deleted from the document or selection.

  You can type additional text around the special codes.  For instance, to
delete all instances of a full stop [period] at the end of a paragraph, (in a
bulleted
  list, for instance), you would select the area you want to do the replacement
in (or not, if you want to do it in the entire document); in the Find What
  box, type:

  .^p

  leaving the Replace With box empty; then click Replace All.

  2.
  Finding & Replacing formatting

  To replace text that has particular formatting

  To find text that has particular formatting and replace it with different
text, but without changing the formatting, you would need to carry out the
following
  steps:

  On the Edit menu choose Replace.

  In the Find & Replace dialog, click in the Find What box and type the text
you want to search for.

  Click the More button.

  Click on the Format button, and select the options as required.

  In the Replace With box, type the text you want it to be replaced with and
click Replace All.

  For example, if you wanted to find all instances of the word "Hi" that were
formatted in the Heading 1 style, and replace them with the word "Ho", you
would need to carry out the following steps:

  In the Find What box, type "Hi".

  Click More, then Format, then Styles.

  Find the Heading 1 style in the list and click OK.

  In the Replace With box, type "Ho"

  Tick the Find whole words only checkbox

  Where is says Search, make sure it's set to All.

  Click Replace All.

  To replace formatting

  To find all instances of the word "Hi" that were formatted in bold and remove
the bold formatting, you would need to carry out the following steps:

  In the Find What box, type "Hi".

  Click More, then Format, then Styles.

  Find the Heading 1 style in the list and click OK.

  Leave the Replace With box empty.

  Tick the Find whole words only checkbox

  Where is says Search, make sure it's set to All.

  Click Replace All.

  To replace all instances of the Normal style with the Body Text style you
would need to:

  Leave both the Find What and Replace With boxes blank.

  With your cursor in the Find What box, click More, then Format, then Styles.

  Find the Normal style in the list and click OK

  With your cursor in the Replace With box, click Format, then Styles, find the
Body Text style in the list, and click OK.

  Where is says Search, make sure it's set to All.

  Click Replace All.

  3.
  Finding & Replacing other special characters

  It's easy to find and replace characters such as ©, é, ä, or any character
listed in the
  Insert + Symbol dialog with the Font box set to "(normal text)" and the
Subset box set to "Basic Latin", (or to put it another way, any character
included in the
  ANSI character set).
  Just insert the character(s) into your document and then cut and paste them
into the dialog.

  The easiest way is to insert both the "find" and "replace" strings into your
document first, next to each other, so you can paste both - using Ctrl+V -
  into both the "Find what" and "Replace with" boxes and delete as appropriate.

  So if you want to replace Andre with André, type AndreAndré, paste that into
both boxes of the dialog, and delete André from the first box and Andre from
  the second.

  For other symbols, such as
  Upper Unicode
   characters, and symbols from decorative fonts such as Symbol and Wingdings,
things get a little more complicated, but it can be done. For the details,
  see
  Finding and replacing symbols.

  Sometimes you might want to replace all "keyboard quotes" in a document with
"smart quotes". The easiest way to do so is to simply replace " with " (i.e.
  replace a keyboard quote with itself) and then ' with ' (i.e. replace a
keyboard apostrophe with itself), making sure you have "smart quotes" turned on
  (under Tools + AutoCorrect; "AutoFormat As You Type" tab).

  To  replace "smart quotes" with "keyboard quotes", do the same Find and
Replace operations, but with smart quotes turned off.

  4.
  Controlling which sections of the document are acted upon

  If you click on the More button and look in the Search box, it will be set to
Down, Up or All.

  By default, if nothing in the document is selected, it will be set to All,
whereas if something is selected, it will be set to Down.

  If it's set to Down (or Up), it will act upon the selection only; then ask if
you want to continue searching the rest of the document.  Even if you click
  Yes, it will ignore the Headers and Footers.  (If nothing is selected it will
search to the beginning or end of the document, then ask if you want to search
  the rest - but will still ignore the Headers & Footers).

  If it's set to All, it will check everything without asking, including the
Headers and Footers.  So if you want to do a replace on the entire document,
  you must remember to click More and then set the Search box to All if it
isn't already.

  If you're searching down, by the way, you can quit the dialog at any point
and use Shift+F4 to repeat the Find; and you can go down as well as up using
  the Browse arrows at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar to repeat the Find
(this tip is more relevant to Finding than to Replacing, but seemed worth
  throwing in for good measure!).

  By now you'll be starting to realise that to use the Find & Replace dialog
properly you must always begin by clicking the More button!  So why have the
  button at all, you  may ask - it's a major
  PITA having to click it every single time!  If you feel that way, may I
suggest you email
  mswish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   If enough of us ask, who knows, they might listen!

  5.
  Major "gotchas"

  If you Find & Replace formatting, the settings you chose are sticky - they
won't be reset until you do another Find & Replace and click the No Formatting
  button.

  Settings such as Find entire words only are equally sticky.

  When you do a replace and it finds nothing when you expected the opposite,
the reason is almost always that you forgot to clear all those sticky settings.
  Another reason to email
  mswish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   - but in the meantime, you can
  assign a macro
   to a toolbar to
  clear the settings from the Find dialog.
   Then you can just click on the toolbar button after each Find & Replace.

  Or better still, you could write a macro to
  intercept
   the EditFind and EditReplace commands and include the code to clear the
settings in your macro.  Then you won't have to remember to click on a button.