[bksvol-discuss] Re: single quotes

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:34:02 -0500

In the US single quotes are mostly the same as apostrophes.  But in some
British presses they are not.  They are actually unique chars, looking
more like high commas.  I am not sure where   the British single quotes
map on a keyboard.  I have found that in some cases OCR engines do render
them instead of apostrophes in words such as I'll,  you'd, and it's.
In such cases,  the single quotes should be replaced with apostrophes,
because they can cause major problems to TTS speech.
Be aware,  mass replacements of the single char will lead to big problems.
 Stick to replacements of whole words, or significant word fragments, to
avoid incorrect replacements.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

The Pardees <fpardee@xxxxxxxxxx>
06/20/2004 12:17 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] single quotes

Micky
Thank you and others for the explanation of single quotes being the same
as
apostrophes.
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that books printed in England use a
single apostrophe instead of the quote.
I have downloaded some of these from PG and scanned several. I can see how
they could be difficult to read.
Jim

---