[bksvol-discuss] Re: series gaps

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:27:22 -0500

Hi Jamie!

Valerie sent me some of her books that she wants to proof after I have scanned them.

The two that pertain to your post, though you didn't mention the second one I will mention, though it is one that young readers would enjoy, are:

The Dana Girls Mystery Series

The Clue of the Black Flower

The other book for young readers is:

Tom Swift and the Rocker Ship

by Victor Appleton II

Debby

At 11:51 PM 5/5/2010, Jamie Prater wrote
Hi, all, as I've mentioned before on this subject, I appreciate the work done on the Lenora Mattingly Weber series of Katie Rose and Stacy Belford and also the Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard. Long ago, I think it was Jamie who sent a list of the mandie books to the list. There appear to be more than one series, a young Mandie series, one about her school, and I think one about her college years. I've heard enough books on tape to recognize the series gaps as in the main Mandie series of which there are over 40 books, there are many still to be bought and I'll try and find the list and put stars by the ones in the bookshare collection already and leave the others blank so people can know what we're missing. Because of reading them on tape, I've been able to proofread three or more Mandie books and would love to do more if people could find them. I'd purchase or borrow the books myself but I don't know where to and internet searching for the best sources to get these books is a bit tedious and I can't afford to get over 20 books to help complete the series. I might be able to borrow the books from somebody, but I'm afraid of scanning books particularly ones that are a bit older than others and may have issues I'm not aware of. If I had agreement, I'd be willing to have one of you great scanners proof them if I can send them and then I'd proof some if not all and we'd be able to get them back to their original owner if she wants them back. I'd have to ask what she's willing to do and before I do this I'd like to approach the list about this.

As far as the Weber books are concerned, people are filling in those gaps and I'm thrilled. The only ones we're missing now that I know of right now are the winds of march; I met a boy I used to know; a new and different summer; How long is always?; and hellow, my love, goodbye. I can't scan or obtain these books, but I'm more than willing to help proof any of these necessary to complete these series and they'll also go for the grant as teenage and preteen age kids would like these books very much. I'd also like to see the Nancy Drew books from 1900 to 1950s in the collection. I think kids need the older ones of these as well as the more modern ones. I remember Nancy's mysterious letter and some book about Nancy at a school with an archaeological dig and some others I've read on tape and also the Dana girls stories written by Carolyn Kene. If they insist on modernizing these and the Hardy boys stories, so be it, but must we trash the classics in the kids' mystery genre? I may be preaching to the choir or stirring up controversy, but I don't think kids should be deprived of the privilege of reading about Nancy without a cell phone and other modern conveniences of technology. Also, those of us who didn't get to read these books as children should have this privilege. I wish Simon and Schuster wouldn't rewrite and scrap the old stuff as I think there are places for both sets/series of books in the mystery Genre of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys and others. Thanks and have a blessed day and thanks for all the volunteers who've submitted the good old classics lately. If they're not classics now, they soon could be. Thanks again and have a blessed day.

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>