[bksvol-discuss] second submission

  • From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:43:20 -0500

I have also submitted Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir to step one. Here is
the synopsis.

At fifteen, sick of her unbearable and increasingly dangerous home life, Janice
Erlbaum walked out of her family's Brooklyn apartment and didn't look back.
From her first frightening night at a shelter, Janice knew she was in over her
head. She was beaten up, shaken down, and nearly stabbed by a pregnant girl.
But it was still better than living at home. As Janice slipped further into
street life, she nevertheless attended high school, harbored crushes, and even
played the lead in the spring musical. She also roamed the streets, clubs,
bars, and parks of New York City with her two best girlfriends, on the prowl
for hard drugs and boys on skateboards. Together they scored coke at
Danceteria, smoked angel dust in East Village squats, commiserated over their
crazy
mothers, and slept with one another's boyfriends on a regular basis.

A wry, mesmerizing portrait of being underprivileged, underage, and
underdressed in 1980s New York City, Girlbomb provides an unflinching look at
street
life, survival sex, female friendships, and first loves.

Shannon
I am only one; but still I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do
something. And, because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the
something I can do.
Everet Edward Hale