[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning a book and some questions

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:43:53 -0500

Hi Chanelle. The book you want to scan sounds fantastic. I'd love to read
it. (smile)

FineReader and Omnipage both work with JAWS. I can't speak for other
screenreaders. FineReader is the scanning engine most people use in Openbook
or Kurzweil. Several of our volunteers use FineReader, and they do very nice
work. Omnipage produces nice scans too. I don't like its interface as well,
but that's a preference thing. You may absolutely love it. I think you can
get a free demo of Omnipage, though it's been awhile since I visited their
site.

If price is an issue that will affect your decision, you may want to check
either on EBay or at second-hand computer stores for older versions of
FineReader or Omnipage. Version 9 of FineReader is the current version. Both
7 and 8 work well with speech and can get great scans. Current versions of
Kurzweil and Openbook are using FineReader 8, so you wouldn't be missing out
on something major if you bought a used copy of Finereader 8. If you buy the
software as a used product, just make sure they sell you the whole package
including the serial number.

I hope you can find a product that is a great fit for you. I'm looking
forward to having you around on this list and am excited about reading your
book when it's approved. (smile)

Monica Willyard